Fielding error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Here is the situation. Batter lays down a bunt that goes roughly half way back to the pitcher. 3rd, 1st and catcher all crash on the ball. Nobody calls it and all 3 players collide at the ball. The runner is slow and could have been put out by a cleanly fielded ball but instead makes it to first cleanly. The error was scored on the catcher. Agree? Disagree? I think I may have to have another convo with the scorekeeper. We have already went at it over PB's vs. WP's.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Did anyone touch the ball early enough to have a realistic chance at getting the out?

It was impossible to see they all 3 went down at the same time and collided. The catcher (my DD) ended up with it and attempted the throw which is why I believe she received the error. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt but the 3rd baseman was a little shaken up. I attempted to argue to just award a single but I was told that was ball that could have been fielded with reasonable effort so someone had to receive the error. Technically all 3 of them were there in time to get the out had they not collided.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
It was impossible to see they all 3 went down at the same time and collided. The catcher (my DD) ended up with it and attempted the throw which is why I believe she received the error. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt but the 3rd baseman was a little shaken up. I attempted to argue to just award a single but I was told that was ball that could have been fielded with reasonable effort so someone had to receive the error.

Without seeing the play myself, I can't say for sure what the right call is. Based on the description, it could be a base hit (mental mistakes and miscommunication aren't "errors")...or it could be an error.

Sep 29, 2014
Sounds it was hit in a spot where no one fielder had an easy play since they all had to try and go field it and it was not hit right at someone, basically it was hit in between everyone...score a hit

Jun 11, 2013
It's a hit. If you place a bunt down where 3 people arrive at the same time you get a hit. Seriously how in the world did all 3 arrive at the same time. I can't even get 1 to arrive in time.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Here is the situation. Batter lays down a bunt that goes roughly half way back to the pitcher. 3rd, 1st and catcher all crash on the ball. Nobody calls it and all 3 players collide at the ball. The runner is slow and could have been put out by a cleanly fielded ball but instead makes it to first cleanly. The error was scored on the catcher. Agree? Disagree? I think I may have to have another convo with the scorekeeper. We have already went at it over PB's vs. WP's.

It's a hit. Fact that nobody called the ball is irrelevant.

You can charge an error against a fielder if she runs into another fielder who is making a routine attempt to make a play. For example, popup to third baseman, who is about to make the catch, and shortstop bowls her over. That's an error on SS.

But in this case, it doesn't sound like any one player was about to make a routine play. The three-fielder pileup occurred before someone could routinely field the ball.

May 17, 2012
As a coach I would score that as an error on all three. If none of them got up and covered third (not sure what pitcher was doing) I would tack on 3 more errors.

You have to communicate.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I attempted to argue to just award a single but I was told that was ball that could have been fielded with reasonable effort so someone had to receive the error.

How can it be reasonable effort if somebody is colliding with you? Sounds like it would've been a helluva'n effort to make that play under the circumstances. Based on your description, I am very confident that this should be scored a hit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207