Fielder tossing mask in fair territory?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Discarded equipment becomes part of the field. If anyone can show me a rule where discarded equipment is a basis for an OBS call, I'd love to see it.

For any sanction?

NFHS does have an interpretation that discarded fielder's masks can be ruled as an obstruction to a runner if the runner's path is altered by it. To the best of my knowledge, they are the only ones that have made this an official interpretation. This probably hasn't been addresed on a wide scale because fielder's masks are fairly new to the game. Give it time!

But still...I can't help but wonder about a play like this: Suppose a fielder sees a runner heading for home, so she takes off her glove and throws it at the runner's feet, tripping her. Why would that not be obstruction?

In any sanction, if I believe that fielder's are intentionally discarding equipment at runners, or into their path, I could easily see addressing it as an usportsmanlike act.

Had a strange one a couple of years ago in a high school baseball game. Runner on third. Batter puts down a bunt. Catcher comes out to field it, removes his helmet and very deliberately rolls it straight up the third base line, like a freaking bowling ball! The runner didn't advance on the play. I told the catcher that I had better not see him do that again...and he didn't.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
For any sanction?

NFHS does have an interpretation that discarded fielder's masks can be ruled as an obstruction to a runner if the runner's path is altered by it. To the best of my knowledge, they are the only ones that have made this an official interpretation.

I assume you are citing CB Play 1.8.4. However, they should probably change the rule to match it as I read Rule 1.8.3 as somewhat of a contradiction.

But still...I can't help but wonder about a play like this: Suppose a fielder sees a runner heading for home, so she takes off her glove and throws it at the runner's feet, tripping her. Why would that not be obstruction?

In any sanction, if I believe that fielder's are intentionally discarding equipment at runners, or into their path, I could easily see addressing it as an usportsmanlike act.

There you go! UC is exactly what that is to me. Unfortunately, if you go there, would not a catcher discarding here helmet/mask or clearing the plate of a discarded bat onto the 3BL into the runner's path equally unsportsmanlike?

Had a strange one a couple of years ago in a high school baseball game. Runner on third. Batter puts down a bunt. Catcher comes out to field it, removes his helmet and very deliberately rolls it straight up the third base line, like a freaking bowling ball! The runner didn't advance on the play. I told the catcher that I had better not see him do that again...and he didn't.

Ah, so you agree! :) Unfortunately, it isn't always that obvious. When I was a catcher, I could put that bat on the 3BL with my eyes closed. Usually kicked it there and never appeared to be intentional. Now, if I could have just learned to throw and bat with those feet.........;)

May 8, 2009
Florida
i thought I read something more specific, but this should cover it in ASA.

2010 ASA Participant Manual ,ASA Rules Supplement #17 Equipment on the Playing Field.
"Loose equipment, misc items or a detached part of a player's uniform, other than that being legaly used in the game at the time, should not be wintin live ball territory. official equipment which may be in live ball territory with no penalty includes the batter's bat, the catcher's mask, umpire paraphernalia, a helmet which has inadvertently fallen off an offensive or defensive player during play or any equipment belonging to a person assigned to the game. Loose equipment, misc items or detached uniform parts whaich are in live ball territory and are not being legally used iin the game could cause a blocked ball or interference."

I think the key word here is inadvertantly. Removing and discarding a face mask is not covered by this.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If you're going to hang your hat on the key word being "inadvertantly", then you should note that the above rule uses "inadvertantly" ONLY in reference to helmets. Everything else in that sentence- bats, catcher's masks, umpire gear- are all items that can reasonably be expected to either be discarded or become loose, even inadvertantly, during the course of normal game play.

And note the final sentence. It says that loose equipment may cause a blocked ball or interference. There is no mention of obstruction.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I found what I had read. Sorry, it is in the USSSA rulebook Rule 2 Sec 7. "All players are permitted to wear any approved protective equipment including catcher's equipment, batter's helmet,fasemasks, and soccer style shin guards. If used, the equipment must not be detached. Detached equipment can result in obstruction or interference ruling. Repeated acts could be grounds for ejection".

Brettman, since that sentence does specifically call out certain equipment, couldn't it be argued that discarding a face mask wouldnt be protected here and could be grounds for obstruction. I read that last sentence as refering to item not being used in the game at that time.

Jul 21, 2009
Based on what Carty posted, I think facemasks ARE allowed, providing they have inadvertently fallen...
official equipment which may be in live ball territory with no penalty includes the batter's bat, the catcher's mask, umpire paraphernalia, a helmet which has inadvertently fallen off an offensive or defensive player during play or any equipment belonging to a person assigned to the game. Loose equipment, misc items or detached uniform parts whaich are in live ball territory and are not being legally used iin the game could cause a blocked ball or interference."

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I found what I had read. Sorry, it is in the USSSA rulebook Rule 2 Sec 7. "All players are permitted to wear any approved protective equipment including catcher's equipment, batter's helmet,fasemasks, and soccer style shin guards. If used, the equipment must not be detached. Detached equipment can result in obstruction or interference ruling. Repeated acts could be grounds for ejection".

Brettman, since that sentence does specifically call out certain equipment, couldn't it be argued that discarding a face mask wouldnt be protected here and could be grounds for obstruction. I read that last sentence as refering to item not being used in the game at that time.

other than that being legaly used in the game at the time,

This comment should also be noted. You also need to remember that rules often take a couple years to catch up to more frequently used equipment. I don't see this being OBS, but intentionally into a runner's path IS certainly UC.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball