Fielder tossing mask in fair territory?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
3rd base was wearing an infield mask. A high, foul pop-fly was hit just passed 3rd base. The 3rd base player whipped off her infield mask as she went for the pop-fly (probably also a catcher :) ) and the mask landed in fair territory just in front of the 3rd base runner on the chalk line in the runner's path.

3rd base caught the ball and so the runner never left 3rd base so there really wasn't any issue on this play with the mask... (runner didn't have to go over/around it).

Would there be any potential for obstruction on 3rd base if the runner had tripped over the mask? Or is this a non-issue?

Nov 1, 2009
The mask could actually spark several rules conversations. No player wearing a fielding mask should be taught to throw the mask just as the catcher is taught to throw the mask back on away from the field of play.

Mar 13, 2010
If the fielder is playing with a mask, it should stay on. Same way catchers are rarely taught to throw the mask anymore. (it's amazing how much easier when the mask doesn't move over your face!)

I would be yelling for obstruction if that happened.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Discarded equipment becomes part of the field. If anyone can show me a rule where discarded equipment is a basis for an OBS call, I'd love to see it.

Also, any defensive player, including a catcher who throws off a mask or helmet is either stupid or improperly coached. A defender should never arbitrarily discard equipment. Once removed, the player should carry it until they have determined the direction in which they need to go to make a play and, when it becomes necessary, drop, not throw, the equipment to the opposite side.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
Texas
This topic seems to be more of a common occurrence recently in my experience. With the increased number of infielders wearing the masks (P, 3B, 1B) it seems to be coming up more and more as an issue. I would not be surprised to see some type of specific rule addressing detached defensive equipment. There are rules for detached equipment, but none that I'm aware of that addresses this as MTR points out above.

Here is an example me and a partner ran across a few weeks ago. The entire IF of this particular team wore a mask because it was a team rule. Fine. However, every play the SS made, she would flip this mask off into the field. Every play she made. She was making quite a few plays. It became obvious this could potentially become a safety issue, as some runners jumped over or ran around the mask, so we spoke with the coach and the player and told her she had to keep it on or take it off. That worked, thankfully and everyone was understanding.

In the OP's case, sounds like no call was warranted, but I could see where this would be a difficult situation for the officials on the field. I'm glad I haven't had to face one yet.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I dont have an ASA rulebook here but this discussion came up in a tournament where a 2nd baseman was discarding her mask on every play. There is a section concerning protective equipment and if it is discarded on the field it can be obstruction if it impedes a runner. I believe the same rule is mirror in the HS rulebook also.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, here is one of those instances where you learn something every day. I have never seen an infielder flip her mask off. What sense does that make?

I wear a mask 100% of the time, when I have a glove on. I am old and I can see. I just don't get it.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD wears a mask to play infield and never takes it off. It defeats the purpose of wearing it if you're flipping it off to field a ball. With the newer masks, visibility isn't an issue.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I dont have an ASA rulebook here but this discussion came up in a tournament where a 2nd baseman was discarding her mask on every play. There is a section concerning protective equipment and if it is discarded on the field it can be obstruction if it impedes a runner. I believe the same rule is mirror in the HS rulebook also.

Well, when you get to where you have it, please provide a citation. Protective Equipment is on page 44 of the rule book and the word nor any insinuation that it would be obstruction is not there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA