Feedback on catcher's mitts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
GM - She knows how to catch in the pocket. For her Miz 92, catching in the pocket is critical to minimize hand sting.

As for the Vinci, I have watched caught balls fall out of her mitt on numerous occasions when she was looking for them on the ground because she couldn't feel it in her mitt. I have also watched far too many balls bounce off the pinky-side edge - this almost never happens with the Miz. She has really tried to make it work, but she simply doesn't catch the ball as consistently with the Vinci. I think it's a combination of things (palm padding, narrower opening, etc.) along with the mental issue of her not being confident with it. The bottom line is that it doesn't work for her. With the Miz, she's a rock star behind the plate.

The more I think through this, the more I think something in the Miz family might be the best choice. With the exception of the Vinci, every other glove and mitt she has used has been a Miz. She just seems to like the way they feel. With that in mind, the 57 might be the next step.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
IF she's used to an H-web, a closed web can magnify some problems with keeping the ball in the glove, especially going from a well-loved h-web to a new-ish closed web. The well-loved h-web will just close around the ball, while the new closed web can feel like there's a puck in the pocket.

It's even better if dad helps by tightening up the laces holding the web, never mind how I know. ;-)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
IF she's used to an H-web, a closed web can magnify some problems with keeping the ball in the glove, especially going from a well-loved h-web to a new-ish closed web. The well-loved h-web will just close around the ball, while the new closed web can feel like there's a puck in the pocket.

It's even better if dad helps by tightening up the laces holding the web, never mind how I know. ;-)

That is a factor I will keep in mind while I shop for her next mitt.

The Vinci JCV-22 is a dual-H web, just like the Miz 92.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just a quick side note. Bill Hillhouse uses the Akadema to catch in all of his pitching lessons. Yes, he is sponsored by them but I don't think he would be using a mitt that would constantly sting his hands at pitching lessons with as many lessons as he gives. If you would like, I could e-mail or text him and find out the model he uses. It might be worth looking into for your DD.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just a quick side note. Bill Hillhouse uses the Akadema to catch in all of his pitching lessons. Yes, he is sponsored by them but I don't think he would be using a mitt that would constantly sting his hands at pitching lessons with as many lessons as he gives. If you would like, I could e-mail or text him and find out the model he uses. It might be worth looking into for your DD.

Sure! I respect Bill, and trust his opinion.

The feedback I have read here is that the Akadema mitts tend to start of being great, but the structure and padding break down quicker than they should. A few different people have made very similar comments in that regard.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Sure! I respect Bill, and trust his opinion.

The feedback I have read here is that the Akadema mitts tend to start of being great, but the structure and padding break down quicker than they should. A few different people have made very similar comments in that regard.

Just sent him an e-mail. Hopefully he will respond quickly...he usually does but he might be on a plane to his next weekend clinic so you never know. As soon as I hear from him I will post his reply for you.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Hillhouse uses the APM 66. He is a sales rep for Akadema also, and he probably gets a new mitt quite often.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Hillhouse uses the APM 66. He is a sales rep for Akadema also, and he probably gets a new mitt quite often.

Thank you for the model number. I haven't seen him for about a year but I know that before he got his new customized mitt, he had his last one almost 2 years which he had to order quickly since his last customized one was stolen.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD had a lot of fun last night when I showed her Akadema's design-your-own tool on their website. She created a very nice looking mitt, and put some valid on-the-field logic into her choices (contrasting colors for the palm and edges because it's "easier for the pitcher to see my target", and no black because "black leather makes my hand too hot"). Sorry, kid. We're not going down the custom mitt road at this age.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Buuuuuut Daaaaaaaad! It looks so cool!

I love these threads for the discussion it brings and the numerous choices it shows that are out there! I think that as with any softball/baseball equipment she should go with what is most functional and comfortable to her. Find as many to try new that you can and then try and find as many broken in to try so she can make a somewhat educated decision. I am willing to bet that you have already had her try every thing you could get your hands on to this point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad