Feedback on catcher's mitts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks for the review! If you don't mind me asking, how fast does DD pitch? Palm padding is adequate? How far along in the break-in process are you? If it's already broken in, how many pitching sessions did it take?

It's funny you mentioned the size of the mitt, because when we were trying on different brands in the store, my DD put on a Mizuno Samurai and said, "this thing is huge! - no way" She felt much more comfortable with the smaller All-Star. Then again, she uses a 12" baseball glove for when she plays IF/OF - she says, and demonstrates, that she is more comfortable and plays better with a smaller glove.

You're welcome #10. This past weekend she was clocked at 53mph several times at a indoor tryout. My DD turned 13
in September. She's really small, 4' 11" and 110lbs and was the second smallest girl at this 14U tryout of 38 girls.
Its not the 53mph, she really spins and moves the ball alot which causes alot of thumb stingers.

The Miz92 I've had for 3 years is really floppy and has NO padding at all. That Mizuno has been a great mitt over the
last 3 years but its no where near in the same class at this All Star. BUT, it was only $60.00 new.
I do wish the All Star had a pocket like the Miz92, hopefully it will get larger in time as it breaks in. The palm
padding is more than adequate, and the way this mitt was designed with the single break a ball will never
hit you directly on the thumb. Well, never say never but you get what I'm saying.

As far as where I'm at in the break in process, no where even close. I've only used it 6-8 times now. My DD
also uses a 12" baseball glove (Vinci). If she likes smaller gloves, get her the CMW3000. She'll love it.
Also for reference, I wear medium sized Mechanix gloves and the hand stall on this glove is perfect for me.
When I was saying its too small for me, again its the outside dimensions. Try to picture the path into the
pocket, where the thumb and pinky are padded there is about a half inch (maybe) on each side for a
12" ball to pass through. Whereas throwing into my old Mizuno is like throwing into a 5 gal bucket.

As I told Eric in a PM, if I had to nitpick anything on the build of this mitt it would be the laces. They're
just ok, average laces at best. They don't match the build quality of the rest of the mitt. Hope this
answered all of your questions #10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00