Fall showcases vs High School commitments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The college coach knows she plays a secondary sport and for a club team and has stressed that her obligation is to the team/school she plays for now and not the college she might okay for in 2 years. The coach is okay with this.
She signed up for a HS sport because she likes it, she's good at it and it helps keep her in shape. We knew what the rules were going in.
I am being a parent, I'm teaching her to fulfill her obligations. You don't just walk away from something because something else comes along.

Based on that type of conversation with the college coach she must be at the end of the recruiting process. Especially if the college coach is telling her how to handle her HS career. That said why the need for a visit if the deal is done? The context of most of the posts was for a player just starting or midway through the process.

Jun 17, 2014
This thread was very helpful to me because I realized it's not just the problem of schedule conflicts and not wanting to disappoint coaches, but also the RULES. I looked up our rules (had never seen this before that I recall) and found the following related to other outside sports during HS sport season:

Students, while participating on a school team, are permitted to participate on sports teams outside of school during the high school sport’s season. This participation shall meet the following criteria:

(1) The outside participation may not conflict with the practice or contests schedule of the school including district, regional, and State championship play unless prior written approval has been obtained from the school principal and coach;

(2) Students who elect to participate on an outside team and do not participate and practice with the school team throughout the designated sport’s season
are ineligible to represent the school in all contests that determine a county, district, regional, or State championship during that sport season.

I think I am primarily impacted by #1 above - we will need to get written approval...hopefully they will agree to approve her absence for a practice during a couple of showcases (might only be one if we're lucky).

Nov 29, 2009
(1) The outside participation may not conflict with the practice or contests schedule of the school including district, regional, and State championship play unless prior written approval has been obtained from the school principal and coach;

(2) Students who elect to participate on an outside team and do not participate and practice with the school team throughout the designated sport’s season
are ineligible to represent the school in all contests that determine a county, district, regional, or State championship during that sport season.

I think I am primarily impacted by #1 above - we will need to get written approval...hopefully they will agree to approve her absence for a practice during a couple of showcases (might only be one if we're lucky).

That's the OFFICIAL rules. What you'll not see in writing are the coach's rules when it comes to missing practices or games for another sport. Good luck with those. It's time to put on the "My Child" hat and do what YOU feel is in the best interest of her college future and beyond. The HS coach is looking no further than the end of the current season for the sport they are coaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06