Fake Tag

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2014
DFW TEXAS
Base Runner on 2nd, Pitch is hit on the ground to center field. Runner rounds third as throw is being made to home. Catcher jumps up and misses the catch barely and Pitcher who is backing up catches it on the fly. Fun part is catcher acts like they have the ball and runs a couple feet up the line and tags the runner putting her to the ground. Catcher pops up and heads back to plate. During the time the umpire and 3rd base coach never saw that the ball was missed, and no idea what the field ump was watching, maybe batter who is headed to 2nd, None the less umpire calls runner heading home out, then turns to see the pitcher with the ball behind the plate as the catcher is getting to the plate, crowd goes crazy and there stands the Umpire with 1st base coach heading his way with what he did see. What would you umpires do with this one.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I will wait for one of the umpires to answer, but I know that "phantom tags" are illegal in my men's slow pitch league....don't want people sliding for no reason - too many chances for injuries.

Nov 1, 2013
Base umpire has batter runner....that is what that umpire is responsible for.....not the throw to home.

Fake tag is obstruction in fastpitch softball......not enough info on what you mean about catcher "putting the runner to the ground"....that could be a more serious matter.

Fake tag...obstruction. plate umpire makes that call and makes award. Then deals with the runner put to the ground, if needed.

May 17, 2012
I will throw out my wild speculation without any facts to support it.

I thought a fake tag was grounds for an ejection.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is a little harsh. :)

It is obstruction, and yes the fielder can be tossed like any other obstruction. I would guess if the player was warned and kept doing it they would be tossed.

Nov 1, 2013
NFHS - Rule 3-6-2 "A player shall not fake a tag without the ball."

Penalty "the umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to dugout/bench for the remainder of the game."

Do not have my ASA rulebook with me.....

Apr 8, 2014
DFW TEXAS
Runner was put to the ground as she started to slow thinking the catcher had the ball, she was leaning of sorts to third and then kind of a catcher pile on. Nobody hurt but no reason for any of it to happen. None the less the umpire thought the catcher threw the ball back to the pitcher behind the plate thus let everything stay the as he thought at first, but you could tell he was very confused with what happened and with everyone going off like they did. 1st base coach was cool and calm, understood that he missed it all. Asked if anyone had it on film, which they did, ump would not look at it which 1st base coach understand and left it be,

The ump did take a look at in between innings, and was very upset that it happened. Needless to say the strike zone and attitude towards the other team was not there anymore.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Putting myself in the shoes of the PU, I would be following the ball, or at least aware of where the ball was as it was coming in toward home. In this case, there can't be a play without the ball, so it is imperative to know where the ball is.

Had I missed this for whatever reason, the first thing I would do is go to my partner to find out what he saw, if anything. If he tells me that F2 missed the ball, now I'm going to call the obstruction and award the runner home. Depending on the severity of the fake tag, the catcher may also be ejected. That is a HTBT to make that judgement.

Had I completely missed the play as this PU seemed to do and my partner could not provide me any information, I'd just have to go with what I saw and move on.

Jun 11, 2013
This situation can't be true. In every game there would be one of the parents who knows little about the game, screaming the the runners on base to run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom