Fake bunt and then hit.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2012
Hey gang, I'm a 12U manager and just wanted to see if it is legal for my hitter to fake a bunt, pull it back and hit with full swing?

Thank you.

Apr 16, 2013
Pretty darn sure it's legal. It's referred to as the "bunt and slash". I know if you do it in baseball, you'd better prepare the next batter to duck, because the ball will be coming for your head. Highly frowned upon, because it's just plain dangerous.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is legal, but is it really worth seriously injuring, or even killing a charging third baseman? Don't know if the next batter will get "ear holed" like justanotherguy suggests happens in baseball, but I would not be surprised....most 3B in fastpitch are already playing inside the bag, and I would not let my DD play 3B without a mask or Evo Shield heart guard.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I catch a lot of flack for this, but I coach it pretty regularly. Its just a part of the mental game. I certainly don't want to see anyone get hurt. But I guarantee that third baseman won't be crashing hard after she seen us pull back a few times, then when I want to drag bunt, she is nowhere near the ball.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Happens a lot, isn't it similar to a pull back? NCAA does it regularly too. Gives the batter a shorter swing path and squares them somewhat-to the pitcher-resulting in better tracking. Of the pitch.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I teach the kids to square up in a sac bunt position (usually with a runner at first and no outs) as the corners are crashing, the batter pulls back and swings away. This will make the corners stop in their tracks and do their best matrix impersonation. So fast forward a play or two and we show sac bunt...no one crashes...ever. I look at it as just another angle of our short game.

Oct 25, 2012
Thanks all for the feedback. I don't want to see anyone ever get hurt either. I have a hitter that seems to hit the ball better when she fakes the bunt the swings away. Her concentration is much better for some reason after pulling back and swinging. This hitter is one of my best bunters and runs a 2.7 to first. Coach J, I hear ya, that 3rd baseman will think twice. I have recommended, not made it mandatory for all my girls to wear masks in the infield. Yeah, you might not look as cool, but a person that has their face busted up from a line drive doesn't look too cool either. Our masks have save us twice this year.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We also show bunt and slap . We teach it to all kids and if you watch college ball the #1 hitter at Wisc always shows , it just part of her routine. Many college kids do this on two strike counts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207