Facemask for infielders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
High School player !ltook a line drive to the face last night. She has several facial fractures and a fractured nose. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. I took the name off the post and this is from another softball web site. This was not a pitcher.

Apr 12, 2010
Our entire 14U infield wears a mask. I make it mandatory for the pitcher, 3rd and 1st. Heart Guards are also mandatory for those positions. Last fall a friend's daughter (14U 2nd base) was covering 1st on a bunt. She wasn't wearing a mask. The catcher threw to 1st and the ball deflected off the runners helmet and hit her in the mouth knocking out two teeth and requiring a bunch of stitches in her lip and mouth area. It was a fluke play. You just never know. Why take the chance?

My daughter plays shortstop and has been hit in the mask and once in her throat on a bad bounce. That was scary. My 2nd base girl last practice was hit in the mask on a bad hop from a throw down to 2nd by the catcher. One little pepple on a hard hit ground ball can send a ball flying upwards.

Better safe than sorry.

My concern is this: to my knowledge, there are no ASA standards for this equipment, and the shields come in different designs. I don't want to encourage players to wear something that makes them *feel* safe but in fact isn't giving them the full protection they need. We wouldn't tell players that they have to wear a batting helmet but that it doesn't matter what kind of helmet. The fact is, the girl in California was wearing a mask, and her face was still crushed. If she was wearing a *different* mask, could the injury have been less severe? If so, then players need to be directed to the right kind of mask, not just any old mask. To that extent, I'd like to see some documentary evidence.

Oct 18, 2009
Blimp326 has a good point about no ASA or NOCSAE standards. I understand specific facemasks may be "safer" than others however this doesn't mean the girls should not wear one until there is a standard.

What I guess we should be doing with the proliferation of these masks everywhere is pester ASA or similar governing body to get NOCSAE to create that standard that masks need to have.
Anyone want to write a letter?

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
It's like saying that someone was still hurt while wearing a seatbelt, so why wear one at all? I agree there should be standards by the governing bodies, just as there are for helmets and bats.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I still play and I don't even warm up w/o a face mask. It is just common sense.

Last season, I had 6 girls wearing them when they pitched. This year, only one is. The parents just won't enforce it.

Dec 18, 2009
I actually did a lot of research when looking for a mask for my DD and there are standards published by ASTM for eye protection in baseball/softball. However, no fielders mask manufacturer that I've found uses them.

faceOff
This link has videos of different facemasks getting impacted by softballs. Admittedly, the website is selling the new COMBAT facemask, but it is still enlightening.

When she pitches, my DD currently uses a metal lacrosse style half-mask (lacrosse goggles), along with a full-contact mouth guard. I had concerns with the softball specific masks on the market. From what I've read the plastic facemasks are more likely to break the older they get and something is better than nothing only if it doesn't end up shoving shards of plastic into your face.

Dec 18, 2009
Yeah, the Schutt mask wasn't out yet when I was looking. However, of the full face masks that are out now, I'd lean towards the Schutt.

Still would love to see third-party testing on all the masks.

Mar 15, 2010
At a tournament last month a local sports store had samples of the face masks from most of the manufacturers. DD choose GameFace for fit and comfort. DD also liked Schutt. Comfortable but fit on her wasn't quite as good as GameFace. Rip-it didn't fit well and wasn't comfortable on DD. I recommend trying on the masks first if at all possible.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd