Facemask for infielders

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I would like to know if there is a rule about infielders having to wear a facemask and what is your opionion on this?I have noticed that some teams and there leagues have gone to this safety issues.

Last edited:
My dd plays 1st and she has 2 face masks. After seeing plenty of accidents on the field without them, she chooses to wear her's. Is it a rule? Not where we are, but it is HER rule for her safety.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
sanchosj - there is a past thread (maybe 6 months ago) where I asked a similar question. Initially, I was against the notion that fielders should wear fielding masks but after many responses from long time softball parents and players, I am now convinced that masks are important (especially for the 3B, 1B and P) and will have my DD wear one when she is in 10U, if not sooner. Also, I feel it will be more and more common place over the next several years as the pitching distances are lengthened (earlier in age) with hitting becoming more frequent, and with technologically advanced bats, more powerful.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
There is no national rule under the varying organizations (ASA, NSA, USSSA, etc.).

I require players on our 10U team to wear one during games and practices even in the outfield. Over the last two years, I have noticed that these young players have much more confidence and we have less incidents of accidents while warming up.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
News Flash! During warmups at last night's rec game, my DD (3B) took a bad hop to the face.
She was wearing 'gameface' and didn't flinch. My 2B hollered 'good thing you have that crazy looking mask'
After the game, 2 parents asked me where they could buy one locally

Apr 12, 2010
My rec league is considering requiring fielding masks for pitchers. Obviously it seems like a good idea in the upper divisions. However, can anyone direct me to any non-anecdotal evidence that they do prevent injury? I don't doubt anyone's tale, but I'm looking for something other than "my daughter swears by it" or "isn't it obvious?" A HS pitcher in Southern California recently was hit by a batted ball. She was wearing the mask, but her face still basically disintegrated. People are saying "it would have been worse without the mask", but given the seriousness of the injury, I'm wondering if the mask actually offered her real protection. Thanks for your help.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Look at the design of the masks, simple physics dictates the difference in
results from wearing vs not when hit by a batted ball. I don't know of anyone who
will volunteer to have you throw a ball at their head with an without to document.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Our entire 14U infield wears a mask. I make it mandatory for the pitcher, 3rd and 1st. Heart Guards are also mandatory for those positions. Last fall a friend's daughter (14U 2nd base) was covering 1st on a bunt. She wasn't wearing a mask. The catcher threw to 1st and the ball deflected off the runners helmet and hit her in the mouth knocking out two teeth and requiring a bunch of stitches in her lip and mouth area. It was a fluke play. You just never know. Why take the chance?

My daughter plays shortstop and has been hit in the mask and once in her throat on a bad bounce. That was scary. My 2nd base girl last practice was hit in the mask on a bad hop from a throw down to 2nd by the catcher. One little pepple on a hard hit ground ball can send a ball flying upwards.

Better safe than sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877