Face masks at the college level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
My DD wears a Mask because we make her. I would guess this is the case for a lot of Players. If she had a choice I am not sure she would wear one because very few other Players on her Teams do.

I am not sure when the parent give their child a choice but that is when they will start coming off.

Oct 25, 2009
I've only known of one outfielder that I wish had worn a mask at least once. That was Caitlin Lowe in the game she ran into the centerfield wall.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
We have had several of the girls wearing masks drop pop flies . Next game They aren't wearing a mask . I am not sure if the mask was a contributing factor but I know enough about psychology to know that if they think it is a problem then it is .

Of course when you have parents making comments like ,"You never get hit by a ball you catch." I can see why some of the girls will ditch them .

It may seem more macho to play without but I wish it was mandatory for pitchers until they were adults as I have seen some 12U and 14U pitchers get hammered by the ball .

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
For the last 2 years I have mentioned to the parents of 1 very good player to wear their mask while pitching, she has 1 in her bag but never wears it. Parents say something along the lines of “just your opinion, different strokes …”.

DD’s mask broke so she was wearing the other player’s mask for the last few games; we knew she is not going to wear it.

Last night’s game she decided she was going to wear her mask for the 1st time ever, I have never seen it on her head before. Kids are funny. We were fortunate enough to have bought DD a new mask the night before so we were good.

She did not have a good game and “because of the mask" was mentioned numerous times. Somehow she forgot how many outs there was because she was wearing a mask? She threw a ball 20’ off line to 1st because of the mask?

My guess is the mask will not see her head again this year.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2009
Both a Georgia (look at 2nd picture) and a Kentucky (look at the 14th picture) pitcher are wearing a mask this season. I freely admit I don't know if other D1 pitchers are wearing masks this year or did last year. Regardless, I like to see the mask starting to show up on big time college pitchers.

In no way am I even suggesting that everyone should use one. That is a decision between the player and parent. I am just pointing out the fact that there are now D1 pitchers wearing masks.

There are many on this site and other sites that say "if you wear a mask you stink as a player" or "no D1 school will look at you if you wear a mask"

What do you think, does this mark the start of a glacial change in how masks are viewed by college coaches? In 20 years will most pitchers be wearing masks?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA