Early Contact Suggestions Needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
So, my 10u daughter has really good and sound mechanics. Yeah that what they all say i know ...Anyway, she is fairly effective at timing on the average pitchers and does fairly well. She does tend to be sending most balls in play to right field/second base. When she faces the 48-50 mph pitcher she is just..... late. Driving me bonkers that something that looks so well at her at bats cant make contact early out in front of the plate. I have tried to give her visuals of how you cant decide to hit a pitch when it is setting on top of the plate,,,read it early and swing sooner. Its not happenin and I need some drill suggestion, key phrases or just suggestions on how to make that decision to pull the trigger sooner than later and hit a ball as it enters the zone rather than in the middle to the end of it.

May 4, 2012
I think most on here are going to want to see video of her swing. I can say that the girls on my 14u team that struggle with really good pitching - push (or have an out front swing). In other words their mechanics are what their hitting coaches are teaching them - but they are not optimal, imho.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In 10U, it's pretty hard for most kids to time pitches coming 50 mph from 35 feet. ... It could be a mechanical issue. (I've never seen a 10U swing that the gurus won't find some fault with), or it could be timing, or both, or it could be a matter of getting more experience and confidence. ... You said she hits balls to RF/2B. I assume she is right-handed? Players who chronically hit the ball to the opposite field often are opening their hips too soon, or not letting the hands catch up to the their hips.

Mar 31, 2013
Thanks guys. We are gonna head to the facility tonight to work on it. I will attempt to get some video and load tomorrow. She is a pitcher so most of our effort is on that but now things have settled in and are coming together on that so we need to spend more time on the hitting component. video to come.

And yes Right handed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG