Dropped 3rd Strike or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
As to the original question, isn't a strike charged to the batter for each legally pitched ball that is swung at by the batter and missed?
And a ball is charged if the pitch hits the ground before crossing the plate and is not swung at? It seems to me the batter struck out swinging - at a pitch that would have been called a ball and that was caught by the catcher. I am using the definition of "caught" as "the act of a fielder who, with her hand(s) and/or glove/mitt, securely gains possession of a batted, pitched or thrown ball."

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
That would be correct, the verbal call is really suppose to be infield fly if fair. If the ball isnt touched while in fair territory and goes foul, it is nothing but a foul ball.

Yes but in the original post the ball was described as landing just past first base and then rolling into foul territory. That would make it a fair ball (since it made it past first base in fair territory) and thus the "Infield fly if fair" would be in play and the runner would be out... right?

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
As to the original question, isn't a strike charged to the batter for each legally pitched ball that is swung at by the batter and missed?
And a ball is charged if the pitch hits the ground before crossing the plate and is not swung at? It seems to me the batter struck out swinging - at a pitch that would have been called a ball and that was caught by the catcher. I am using the definition of "caught" as "the act of a fielder who, with her hand(s) and/or glove/mitt, securely gains possession of a batted, pitched or thrown ball."

Well as BretMan said "If the ball touched the ground at any point before being secured by the catcher, then it is not a catch! If it's not a catch, then you can't possibly have a caught third strike"

The catcher has to "catch" the ball on the third strike for the out to count on the strike out. If it bounces off the ground directly into the catcher's mitt they have not caught the ball they have secured it. If all other conditions are right (less than 2 outs and 1B unoccupied... or 2 outs) the D3K rule is in effect.

I believe that in the stats the batter and pitcher both get credit for a strike out, and then assuming the batter doesn't safely make it to first base it is recorded as a putout or assist for the catcher depending upon whether he threw the ball to first or tagged the batter.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes but in the original post the ball was described as landing just past first base and then rolling into foul territory. That would make it a fair ball (since it made it past first base in fair territory) and thus the "Infield fly if fair" would be in play and the runner would be out... right?

Correct, I didnt specify if rolling foul before 1st or 3rd base.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
I can't find a rule that defines a bounced pitch that is secured by the catcher as not a caught ball. Can someone cite the specific rule?

Never mind, I found it:

ASA

Rule 8 Section 1B
We have received several questions in regards to our dropped third strike rule. Please remember that our wording for Rule 8 Section 1B is “When the catcher fails to catch the third strike before the ball touches the ground and there are 1) Fewer than two outs and first base is not occupied at the time of the pitch or 2) any time there are two outs.” The confusion comes from the wording of a dropped third strike. Remember it is actually a pitched ball that was not caught prior to touching the ground and is not touched by the bat.

Play 1: With one out B2 is at bat and has two strikes with 1B unoccupied. The next pitch hits in front of the plate and B2 swings at the ball, misses it and is caught by F2.
Ruling: This is a non-caught third strike and B2 is not out until tagged, F2 throws the ball to 1B before B2 arrives or B2 walks into the dugout without proceeding to 1B. (Rule 8 Section 1B)

Play 2: With R1 on 1B and two outs, B2 is at bat with two strikes. F1 throws a pitch that bounces in front of the plate and is swung at by B2. B2’s bat tips the ball sharply and directly to the F2’s glove and is caught by F2.
Ruling: B2 is out by means of a foul tip being caught for the third strike. Rule 1 Foul Tip. Since the ball was hit by the bat the ball can now be caught as a 3rd strike foul tip, a fair batted ball, or even a caught foul ball.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA