Drop third strike and batter runner out question....USSSA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
Ok I need some clarification on this.

Situation...drop third strike the batter runner walks to dugout on third base side ...does not enter and then runs back to home plate and begins to run to first. I argued with an ump yesterday that the batter was out because she gave up and per 8 section 18 A the batter runner went out of the three foot running lane...in my opinion she is out per that rule,BUT

In the 2-29-12 USSSa case book of past situations page 28 states that only if in this situation if she enters deal ball territory 8-17-j..which is in the dugout or beyond she is out.

Seems contradictory. Can the girl actually go right to her dugout on a drop third strike, do a little dance in an effort to get the catcher to throw down to first in order to attempt to get a girl on third to score?

Seems odd to me. Don't you think they contradict each other?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
The 3' running lane going to first base only applies to the runner commiting interference while running to 1st base. If you are talking about a runner going more than 3' outside the basepath, that only applies when a defender is making an active attempt to tag the runner. Otherwise the runner can do almost anything and pick about any path they want to when running to a base. Unless the batter/runner actually stepped foot into dead ball territory they are perfectly legal to run to 1st base.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Teach your catcher to tag the batter on a dropped 3rd strike or throw down to 1B and you will not have to worry about it.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321