Drop Pitch drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 6, 2011
I have heard of a drop pitch drill that uses a string to try and get the drop pitch to fall under. Does anyone know the particulars of this drill?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is pretty simple. You tie a string between two sticks and put them several feet from the plate. The pitcher's goal is for the ball to go over the string and hit just behind the plate.

My DD played D1 ball, and we used a tall plastic trash can. We laid a plastic pickle bucket on its side just behind the plate, with the mouth of the pickle bucket facing the pitcher. The goal was to throw the ball over the trash can and into the bucket. We did it as a game. We had about 100 softballs. So, she would start with the trash can perhaps 25 feet from the plate. Everytime she got the ball over the trash can and into the bucket, we moved the trash can toward the plate a couple of feet.

The pitcher has to develop a feel for the speed, spin and release angle for a drop ball. Personally, I think using simply a string at a fixed position doesn't challenge the pitcher enough.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use 2 fiberglass poles, that I think contractors use. I bought them at Lowes. They are flexible, but pipes in cones would also work. I think that my string is about 2 feet off the ground and 2 feet from the plate. You can play around with that part.

Oct 6, 2011
Thanks for the info. I like the idea about the bucket. Keeping it fun is what it is all about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid