Drill to help fastpitch hitters who drop their hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]A couple of weeks ago I was working with a 12U player named Carly who was having some issues with her hands dropping. The action of dropping her hands created somewhat of a looping swing.

The problem was she couldn't feel it. So once again I brought out my trusty swim noodle. This time I placed it behind her, in an area I didn't want the bat head to go. Her objective was to swing the bat without hitting the noodle.

At first, of course, she did hit the noodle. Here's a slow motion video (taken later in the session) showing a "before" swing. (Notice the guilty grin after she hits the noodle.

After working on it for a bit we tried it again. Here's the "after" swing, with Carly now taking the head of the bat on a more direct line to the ball instead of looping.

It's a subtle difference but an important one. With this bat path she is now set up better to hit the ball more effectively.

By the way, back in the day I used to hold a bat behind the hitter, who would use an old bat in order not to damage her good one. But that became a bit intimidating. The noodle works much better, and allows the hitter to use her own bat.

As for Carly, we're still early in her development as a hitter, but the noodle drill has been effective in helping her get rid of the looping swing. If you know a hitter who is having this dropping the hands issue, give it a try.

So what do you think? What drills or techniques do you use to address dropping the hands?

More...

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
SBF, to see the videos you have to go out to my blog, which is the source for the post here. As Amy said, if you click on the More link at the bottom of the post it should take you there. This is just an RSS feed of that.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I find them very useful in the right situations. They give the hitters feedback they don't get otherwise. You can tell them and sometimes even show them, but there's nothing like whacking the noodle to prove the bat is where it shouldn't be.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
SBF, to see the videos you have to go out to my blog, which is the source for the post here. As Amy said, if you click on the More link at the bottom of the post it should take you there. This is just an RSS feed of that.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I find them very useful in the right situations. They give the hitters feedback they don't get otherwise. You can tell them and sometimes even show them, but there's nothing like whacking the noodle to prove the bat is where it shouldn't be.

Cool! I would call that using YOUR noodle and using THE noodle!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06