Drag Foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
My daughter has worn a hole in her drag foot (right) cleat that is just a tiny bit to the left of the big toe. Is this normal (not the worn shoe, the location :) ) or should she actually be dragging the point of the toe, and if so, how important is it in the grand scheme of pitching mechanics?

Thanks.

Jul 26, 2010
A lot of pitchers have a heavy drag foot, and end up using the foot as more of an anchor. Most of these pitchers also have issues leaning forward and it may even contribute to twisting the shoulders closed. If you have any video of her pitching it would be easier to tell if it's a problem or not.

-W

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm not qualified to answer but at the risk of hijacking the thread I heard a dad talking about some sort of goop you put on the toe of the shoe when it's new to preserve it when pitching. Does anyone know about this product and does it work?

Sep 21, 2011
An "open"-style pitcher will typically have wear on the side of the big toe. A "closed" pitcher will typically have more wear on the front or top of the toe. A pitcher who starts open and then "slams the door shut" may have wear in both places.

Aug 19, 2011
Tuff Toe is the product, I think. I used it on my dd's drag shoe, seems to hold up really well. Not cheap, but cheaper than new cleats. Some cleats, like Ringors, either come with a rubber "pitching toe" or have it as an option.

Oct 22, 2009
Don't know how your DD pitches, but wear will show depending on how often she pitches with those cleats and how deep she pushes. Usually on the inside of the big toe.

When my DD went to college she was excited to get those Ringors cleats, but her coach wasn't so happy because she went through a pair every season, she drug on her pinky toe!

Mar 25, 2011
tom,
In my dd's case, the main thing we got from that drag foot getting too far sideways (sounds similair to the location you describe) is a sore knee. One day, dd just started saying her knee was hurting at pitching...looked at her drag foot and sure enough, way too much side, not enough toe. Straightened her foot up a bit, pain went away in no time (couple days tops).

Sep 3, 2009
I'll have to get some new video soon. Here's a pic from last weekend that shows pretty clearly her drag point. It might be that she is dragging too heavily thus slowing down her momentum. Never thought of that. Gives me something else to watch for.
This was from a scrimmage game with her new travel team. The team is newly formed U12 with mostly 11 yo's and my DD is new to travel ball, as is the entire roster.
IMG_6258.jpg

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Pivot foot drag - The rudder or the anchor?

Put this out 8 or 9 years ago. Please note the stress om the ankle and knee. This is a VERY severe case in my opinion. There should only be 'just enough' weight on the side of the pivot foot toe to msintain contact with the ground.

I always wore a ptchers toe attached to my metal cleat. Tjey are metal. Most of the time that pitcher's toe would last almost 2 full seasons for me and then have to be replaced.

Drag 1.jpg

Drag 2.jpg

Mar 25, 2011
Looks like her foot is pretty far down in that hole already. I would say she is not driving forwards at her optimum level (based on very little information). She is very nice and open! Her form looks strong and aggressive. Maybe a tiny tilt forwards, but hard to say at that moment without comparing it to others... also... the ball position.. Haven't we (the forum) talked that at 12 o'clock the ball should be facing 3rd?
She looks great for 11! Where does that glove hand go when she completes her pitch?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors