Don Sarno?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
And just thimk......Somewhere, some little girl is just asking "can someone teach me how to pitch underhand?".......

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thanks Bill, but it is still peculiar to me that he is allowed to play for both, so I guess birth had something to do with it? But, I accept your word as gospel. I have friends in Denmark who are Kiwis who do the same thing now. I remember reading about the perfect game and I think Canada had won 3 straight championships at the time if I am not mistaken. However, my Salt Lake City assumptions were definitely wrong. It wasn't his first! I probably asked someone as ill-informed as me and made some conclusions.

So Bill you are not going to get into the magical 104 mph pitches. I heard Joan Joyce threw over 100mph also, not kidding!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
It's simple, he was allowed to play in both because he has 2 passports. New Zealand doesn't play in Pan Am games, so there was no conflict. I'll keep my personal opinion out of it but I'm sure there was a time when he had to choose: USA or NZ. There was nothing illegal about playing ISF Worlds for NZ and Pan Ams for USA. He's not the only pitcher that did it.

Yes, some Kiwis go to Denmark and other Euro countries during the NZ winter (USA summer). Most of them would much rather play in the USA than there but cannot get on teams. I do know of one Kiwi who plays in DK because his wife is Danish and they have a child together. Most foreigners that go to Denmark, Sweden, or other countries do so for an "OE" (overseas experience) not so much for the softball, which is not very strong in most Euro countries.

Canada had not won 3 straight ISF titles when NZ won. In fact, NZ won in 1984 (in Midland Michigan), USA won in 1988(in Saskatoon Canada) and Canada won in 1992 (Philippines). So they were defending champs... beating NZ in the finals in Manila on an extra inning HR. New Zealand went on to win 3 straight.. 1996, 2000, and 2004. Australia beat them in 2009 to break the streak, Adam Folkard no-hit NZ in the final.

Bill

Nov 29, 2009
The "Who is better." debate in the earlier posts gave me a little chuckle. Years ago when my DD was playing 14U ball I was standing next to the guy who ran the program she played for watching two teams play. Two dads were standing in front of him having a "meeting of the minds" about girl on one of the teams. One dad confidently says to the other "That kid is the best in the State." Then he turns around looking for confirmation of his astute opinion from us. I'm not saying a word. I know what's coming. The first thing my DD's director asked the dad is if he'd seen every kid in the state who plays that position. Of course the dad answers "No." Then he laughed at him and told him "If he hasn't seen every kid in the state play the position how can he tell us she's the best?" After giving the guy a Dumb Daddy verbal drubbing the daddies slinked away looking for someone to agree with them.

BTW.. The kid they were talking about never even made all-conference at the end of the HS season.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thanks for setting me straight. I didn't know you could have two passports, and knew White pitched the 1996 game. In truth I was a mix of illusions over this issue. One led to another assumption.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad