Does this seem right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I was head coach for both of my daughters, both the #1 pitchers on their respective teams. I always paid the same fees as everyone else. Doing anything else would not be right.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Scholarships on our team have always been based on "need", not by position or a players perceived "value" to the team. We have always been on a tight budget and our coaches probably end up paying more than other parents at the end of the year. Especially if you factor in coaching shirts, hats, personal equipment used by the team, ect.

Jul 2, 2013
Big travel orgs. will advertise, at times, that low income players can still play. You won't be left out, if good enough but cannot afford to play.

What they are really saying is YOU are paying for some players.

And you were told in advance by the 1st sentence. Nothing against big travel orgs., just know their language, and this one is the most used that most do not understand.

Mar 26, 2013
When a players registers at the NCAA Clearing House they are asked a series of questions to determine if they were a "paid" player. I suggest that you get hold of the compliance folks at NCAA and ask them some "hypothetical" questions. IMHO I would say that anyone who is playing on other players dime, especially due to their elite status is risking their NCAA eligibility.
I've seen posts like this for years, but no one ever comes up with it being an issue or a specific bylaw that is being broken. hmm... If this really was a violation, the team would be categorized as a professional team and ALL the players would be ineligible.

A lot of confusion comes from not understanding what the NCAA considers "pay." The NCAA allows teams to provide a lot of benefits and cover expenses (see 12.02.8 Professional Athletics Team) that are not considered pay. Where the team got the money (e.g. sponsors and/or team members) to provide the benefits is not an issue in this case.

NCAA added new definitions to their D-I manual that set minimum thresholds. IMHO, this one also clarifies this topic.

12.02.5 Limited Benefit—Prior to Initial Full-Time Enrollment at an NCAA Institution—Expenses from a Permissible Source. Prior to initial full-time enrollment at an NCAA institution, if an individual receives expenses from a permissible source (e.g., event sponsor, club team) that exceed his or her actual and necessary expenses by $300 or less, the eligibility of the individual shall not be affected. (Adopted: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)

Nov 27, 2010
As the HC of my daughters 14U team, we have a $2500 coaches allowance. I offer $700 to each of my AC that they can take as income and use it to pay their daughter's team fee. To this point, every coach, myself included, has not taken the salary and paid fees in full. And as Amy stated, there are plenty of things we (coaches) pay for that the parents never see or hear about.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Oh, heck no. I had the #1 pitcher and coached the team. I always paid more, as a matter of fact. :)
Ditto....
I always end up paying way more than I should. I run clinics, coach teams, volunteer at boys tourneys, perform maintenance on fencing etc., and I serve as a board member. I can't even get a free hot dog...
They need to pay their own way like the rest of us!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. We aren't a big org "YET" but we have a 14U player that is on a small scholorship but she is also one heck of a player and losing her is not really an option. Losing this pitcher while hurtful wouldn't slow the season at all. Our tuition is low for an 18U A team, probably lower than the majority across the country (we are comfortably under $1000). So not collecting from 1 player really would set us back as we carry a small roster to maximize showcase playing time.

Again thanks all for the info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild