Does this make me a dirt bag?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
I missed 2 of DD's games while away on a long weekend to the Caribbean with my friends. Apparently she pitched 2 awesome games while I was gone. I should go away more often.

Dec 3, 2012
Sydney Australia
I suppose it all depends on whether your DD can get there without you, if yes then no problems going fishing. (Unless you are also the coach, then you should probably be there) otherwise what's the harm, she has the best game ever...you get to hear her tell it, sometimes it's better than seeing it for yourself, it helps us as parents appreciate how much our kids love the game.

Jun 7, 2013
Asking an 11YOA "permission" to do something? Are you kidding me? Since when did everyone give their children the right to dictate what the parents do on a weekend?

The goal of raising a child is to produce an independent person who doesn't need you. To do that, you have to give the child an opportunity to succeed or fail without you. Here is a real shocker: She does not need you.

You tell her, "Hey, I'm going fishing next weekend. I have confidence that you will play great without me." Do not make it sound like she needs therapy because you aren't there.

For a few years I had coached my youngest DD and I think that she was taking advantage of being the coaches daughter and being too reliant upon me. Now that I am coaching my oldest DD and missing most of her games, she seems to be becoming stronger and more independent. I hate missing her games but, to an extent, it seems to be a good thing.

Oct 25, 2009
OK. My buddy calls me and let me know that fishing has been really good out at Catalina island. Now my DD has local tourney this weekend..... I need to get out on water buuuut of course kid is playing. I've never missed a game of hers . Ever. I'm just getting that itch to fish with the guys. Haven't been out in a few months...........

What do I do dfp?

That has been the biggest fault of any softball complex I've been to. There is no place in the complex to fish!