does a composite bat make a difference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
Just wondering in 8u they use a AD star 5 ball which has a little give in it but it is not a complete hardball. Would a composite or alloy bat work better on the ball when hitting. If you had a composite bat would it be pointless to use it.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Someone that posts her says an alloy bat hits better, I am not convinced but do think they would be equal. No benefit using a composite.

Jun 22, 2015
Not a bat expert but If you think about it logically it would be alloy. The reasoning behind a composite (balanced) bat hitting better, is that the ball bounces off the composite material and goes further, but if you're hitting a mush ball the bounce is already happening with the ball. More give in the bat would just absorb that bounce. Which would make the alloy a better choice -on the other hand you can probably get a much lighter composite bat for the size which will make for a faster swing. So I guess it depends on the batter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
The biggest difference is the weight of the bat with the RIF balls. The heaviest bat a kid can swing correctly will get the best results.

Mar 21, 2013
Softer balls - Aluminum a little better than composite

Travel ball balls i.e. Dream Seam etc - Composite waaaaay better than aluminum.

The biggest factor aluminum $ - composite $$$$$ and you don't need to spend the big money on composite.

May 18, 2009
Seemed like the Jessicca Mendoza bats were popular in 8U. If your DD is moving up I would get her a composite, a bucket of 11" good leather balls, a tee, and a Bownet. Swing away!

Sep 28, 2015
My DD has a2 more seasons of 8u but i was just wondering, because i have seen a couple girls withe composite bats and i just htought they really didnt do anything because of the type of ball and i have had other parents ask also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1