Discipline

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
A hard practice isn't punishment IMO. If a girl thinks of hard work as punishment that's the problem.

Some of these coaches think they are a cross between Bear Bryant, Mike Ditka, Bill Parcells, and Vince Lombardi, though. Some (not all and not most) have a convolluted idea of a "hard practice". On the other side of the coin, some diamond divas think that exerting themselves beyond what they are "comfortable" with is over the top and punishment....generally from an incorrect view warped by a psycho parent. Sometimes, it's a hard practice. Sometimes, it's over the top. Sometimes it's both. Sometimes it's neither. This is one of those subjective topics. IMHO, everyone should get a real hard look in the mirror about their actions and motives. Then, get peace about it. Then, be that with integrity. Whether it's the player, parent, or coach. That could help to avoid unsuccessful relationships due to unrealistic expectations, whether by you or another party. I love DFP for many reasons, but the ability to bounce ideas off each other and gain perspectives we hadn't seen before is one of those reasons. Take JJSqueeze for example, he challenged my thinking on an approach I was taking with DD a while back on conversation-style. I didn't really agree and it didn't register for another 2 weeks. But, I never would've seen it AS QUICKLY without that external perspective with no malicious motives (which none here in DFP have for the most part, at least from what I've experienced).

Aug 26, 2015
There are several softball coaches of marquee teams in our area with "Bobby Knight" coaching styles....so they are out there. And to be honest that style of coaching may be what pushes some players to excel. Not saying that method works for everyone, but it does for some.

A few weeks ago, there was an all star workout in our area. Parents were discussing how the fall season went. Many were complaining. One parent complained that her DD's coach just let the girls do whatever they wanted and she hated that. Her DD was a "serious" player and needed a drill sergeant. The other parent said her DD's coach was too hard on the girls. Made them do baserunning an entire practice with no batting or fielding or anything. Just baserunning. She wanted a coach to have a laid back approach and let the girls experience the wonders of the elements that INCLUDES (but is not exclusively) the game. To each their own. Seemed to me like these parents would've preferred the other coach. But, if it wasn't that, it would've been SOMETHING else. And I'm sure if the coaches talked about it, they would've had their own opinion about why they did what they did and why it was right. Girls might offer an opinion that is different yet again.

Punishment? Hard Practice? Who's to say which one is which.....outside of an entire team puking their lungs up?

Jun 12, 2015
On the other side of the coin, some diamond divas think that exerting themselves beyond what they are "comfortable" with is over the top and punishment....generally from an incorrect view warped by a psycho parent.

True enough. I guess my 11 year old thinks she's being punished if she has to empty the dishwasher before she can go play w/ her buds but she's not. It's just something that needs to be done in the house, and I shouldn't have to do everything myself. My perspective, not punishment. Hers, definitely punishment. haha.

I was thinking really from a travel perspective, because I definitely noticed these girls like you mention in rec ball. But rec practices don't tend to be that hard. And the TB girls I've known have been hard workers pretty much across the board. I remember going to our first practices with an 05 A team when we were team shopping earlier this year. Our B team coach was a great guy but straight from rec, and I'd call his practices fun and games. Not bad, just not super intense. This 05 team (mine's 06 so it was older girls w/ more experience-she was still 8U at the time) WORKED. Sunday practice, 4 hours of running and conditioning and drills. In July, in Georgia. At the end of practice, they ran the field (not the bases, the entire field) with their bats over their heads. I asked my DD what she thought on the ride home. She'd been very resistant to changing teams because she loved our coach, and her BFF is his kid. But she was singing a new tune. She LOVED that practice. She was red and hot and sweaty and exhausted and over the moon. That's how the TB girls have been so far that I've met. I kinda hope I don't meet any divas anytime soon (at least not on OUR team).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
On the other side of the coin, some diamond divas think that exerting themselves beyond what they are "comfortable" with is over the top and punishment....

This comment reminded me of a picture I saw comparing today's young adults to a previous generation...
1944 vs 2015.jpg

Jun 12, 2015
I think they're have always been lazy good for nothings, and that today there are plenty of hard working and awesome young people. The "kids today" rhetoric is as old as humanity itself, I imagine.

sportpsych_consultant

performance consultant
Dec 19, 2015
Orange County, CA
Exercise as a discipline tactic isn't particularly useful because it creates negative feelings towards fitness and exercise. Yelling and terror are only short-term answers but you lose respect. And benching is not a useful route because most people (especially teens) cannot make the connection between "I was acting up in practice and that is why I am sitting on the bench" even if you tell them. The best tactic I've used with athletes is asking a simple question "who wants to be here". Then the follow up question is "why are we here and what are we here to do?" It's a simple and clam way of interacting with your athletes. Also, instead of talking AT them you are having a conversation. Pulling at what motivates people can really change behavior.

Jun 1, 2013
Exercise as a discipline tactic isn't particularly useful because it creates negative feelings towards fitness and exercise. Yelling and terror are only short-term answers but you lose respect. And benching is not a useful route because most people (especially teens) cannot make the connection between "I was acting up in practice and that is why I am sitting on the bench" even if you tell them. The best tactic I've used with athletes is asking a simple question "who wants to be here". Then the follow up question is "why are we here and what are we here to do?" It's a simple and clam way of interacting with your athletes. Also, instead of talking AT them you are having a conversation. Pulling at what motivates people can really change behavior.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Jun 12, 2015
We are talking about kids, here, aren't we? Talking to them like people instead of throwing punishments at them makes you feel like vomiting? Interesting.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA