Difficult decision made easier

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2013
I posted earlier that we were faced with the decision to stay with the team our two DDs were on or move them up to 14U Select team that they tried out for and made. We truly wanted to honor the committment to the team and ride out the spring season, however after the first and second tournaments it became abundantly clear that this team was not where our girls needed to be. A few things that helped us in making this decision. The head coach left in the middle of a two day tournament, not only did he leave but his wife the bookkeeper left. This left the girls with one coach for the final game of the first day, no bookkeeper and no first base coach. The assistant coach that was left, refused to call DD pitcher's pitches. He didn't know how. Hmm maybe if you would work with other girls besides your daughter you might know this. This last weekend, one day tournament, the assistant coach did not show up. Granted his daughter was injured and not able to play, however are you coaching your daughter or the team? We have bit our tounge over the quality of practices, two sometimes only one practice a week for 1 1/2 hours. These practices consisted of nothing but the HC hitting balls to the girls. His comment at this Sat tourney was these girls should know how to throw. Our main reason for losing games has been the inability to make simple throws to first, third, fielding pop flys..things that should be practiced at every practice. I don't know a college team who does not practice throwing, fielding, etc. During winter hitting workouts he insisted everyone know how to bunt, out of 11 games one player has bunted. This coach knows that this is not the team he forseen that he would have. He has expected our two girls to carry the load for this team. They hit second and clean up in the lineup, one is pitcher (very dominating) the other is catcher. If they make mistakes he is all over them.
So not to keep rambling, we decided to leave the 12u team and move them over to the 14U select team. We could not continue to see our girls softball mental game deminish. The coaches were not committed, nor were the other team mates/parents who never showed up for practice. The girls were relieved to leave the team and now they can play at the level they train to play.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Sounds like you left a mess. If the girls were 'relieved' to leave, then that's all you need to know.

Curious about this, though - What is a 14U Select team? That must mean something different than I'm familiar with.

Feb 21, 2013
Basically the Select team in our area are A teams. This team does focus on preparing them for HS and recruiting for college. They will play some exposure tournaments.

Sounds like it was really time to move on, just make sure they hit the ground running with their new team it might take a while to earn their way into starting lineup, unless they were recruited because the new team has openings and needed players.

Dec 7, 2011
Sounds like you left a mess. If the girls were 'relieved' to leave, then that's all you need to know.

Curious about this, though - What is a 14U Select team? That must mean something different than I'm familiar with.

I agree - usually with all the $$ in balance there is not this kind of "lack of commitment". Odd indeed. (not odd that personalities conflict though!)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks for the clarification on 'select' team. I've learned on this board that there are all sorts of 'dialects' around the U.S. when discussing this. In metro Atlanta, 'select team' often refers to a group of the best players in a rec league that practice in addition to their rec teams and play once a week (often Sundays) against the 'select teams' from another rec program. It's kinda like all-stars, but it's a league, and it's played during the rec season. I have heard soccer travel teams called 'select teams.'

As for switching teams, I encourage people to keep their commitments, but this team sounds pretty toxic. It might need to be shut down.

Feb 21, 2013
The select team they made is an A level travel team. They will be starters on the team, even though they are the youngest The catcher turned 12 in Jan. the pitcher will be 12 next month. She pitches in the mid-high 50s. She pitched against 16u HS girls and shut them down. They have worked hard to get to this level. I am very proud of them.

Sep 18, 2011
We have bit our tounge over the quality of practices, two sometimes only one practice a week for 1 1/2 hours. These practices consisted of nothing but the HC hitting balls to the girls.

I am having flashbacks (nightmares?) to two seasons ago. We had moved cross country and DD joined the only travel ball team in the area looking for a new player. Talented group of girls but practice consisted of nothing but the head coach standing on home plate hitting ground balls for 60 minutes, once a week. Needless to say our DD didn't improve that year. There was no hitting, fielding or throwing instruction. Those skills were simply "assumed." After the season she tried out for and made the best travel team we could find, where girls were actually taught how to hit, throw, field, and catch. EVERYTHING was broken down. Video analysis. Etc. DD's overhand throwing speed went from 50 to 60 in just a couple of months. My advice to anyone is to find a coach who is COMMITTED to player development.

Congrats on your decision. Sounds like you made the right choice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors