Different Back ups

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Had our first outside practice with school the other day. So, we had some different coverage's that I really haven't seen before that threw me for a loop.

Situation-shot to CF gap, take throw to F4 at 2 herself. F6 is supposed to back up F4 in between 2nd and pitcher. Seemed very tight for all those players in close. In this situation, I normally have F1 as back up.

Shot to RF, F4 goes out for cut, F6 covers 2, CF comes in to back up F6, F7 backs up F5. Seems like a very far run for CF with likelihood of them not being there. I normally have F7 back up F6, F1 backs up F5. Shot to left is the same, just flipped obviously, haha.

This is HS ball.

Thoughts?

May 17, 2012
Had our first outside practice with school the other day. So, we had some different coverage's that I really haven't seen before that threw me for a loop.

Situation-shot to CF gap, take throw to F4 at 2 herself. F6 is supposed to back up F4 in between 2nd and pitcher. Seemed very tight for all those players in close. In this situation, I normally have F1 as back up.

If the ball is hit into OF (CF gap) and the CF keeps the ball in front of them then yes the throw goes to 2B. The CF shouldn't need a relay for this throw so whomever went out for the relay should take a knee (get out of the way). The pitcher is in this case should backup the throw to 2B as she is naturally already in position to do so. This play will develop too quickly for anything else to happen.

Shot to RF, F4 goes out for cut, F6 covers 2, CF comes in to back up F6, F7 backs up F5. Seems like a very far run for CF with likelihood of them not being there. I normally have F7 back up F6, F1 backs up F5. Shot to left is the same, just flipped obviously, haha.

Yeah the first way is a list of things that won't happen in time. Your way is the most efficient way.

A lot of teams at the high school and even college level do a poor job with cuts and relays.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
For the shot to RF, the only time we have F4 go out for a cut is if the ball gets past the RFer and goes to the fence. Otherwise, if the ball stays in front of the RFer, F3 is the cut. This is assumes runner on 2 and it was not a hard shot the RF that could still result in a play at 1.

Nov 2, 2015
In situation 1, same as what Gunner posted.

In situation 2, shot to RF:
1. CF backs up RF
2. LF comes in to edge of grass to back up F6
3. F4 goes out for cut
4. F6 covers 2
5. F5 stays home
6. F1 backs up F5
7. F3 stays home for possible throw-back

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
I just don't understand how in the 1st situation, F4 or F6 is supposed to realize quick enough that F8 doesn't need a cut and is supposed to back up the player at 2nd. Or how F8 is supposed to be quick enough to back up 2nd base on a throw from right field. I seriously was confused watching these back ups trying to figure out how they would be possible in a game. I had one conversation with the HC where he said that he was worried about giving the players to many different situations and them forgetting what to do. This seems WAY harder then the coverages we are all talking about here.