Desire to play college ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2013
So pretty much any kid who only plays Little League 6 months out of the year and eats Twinkies and plays X-Box the rest of the year could be considered "specialized". And they had higher injury rate. Who would have guessed?

That is exactly the scenario that I was thinking of Riseball. This is a case of someone having a preconceived idea of what they wanted to see as a result and making a survey to meet that assumption. In order to get closer to the info they are looking for - if they want to be closer to accurate - they need to make that about a 20 question survey.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That is exactly the scenario that I was thinking of Riseball. This is a case of someone having a preconceived idea of what they wanted to see as a result and making a survey to meet that assumption. In order to get closer to the info they are looking for - if they want to be closer to accurate - they need to make that about a 20 question survey.

Looking back at the questions those are what I might ask of a "specialized" athlete to see if they were truly committed. How does the question "Do you miss time with your friends to train?" make a bit of difference in the context of the cited study?

Jun 19, 2013
Looking back at the questions those are what I might ask of a "specialized" athlete to see if they were truly committed. How does the question "Do you miss time with your friends to train?" make a bit of difference in the context of the cited study?

Well it's a highly pertinent question if what you're really after is "How crazy are your abusive parents who force you to train for one sport year round and are going to cause you to need Tommy John Surgery when you'd really rather be at Joey's birthday party or playing chess at the library?"

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Well it's a highly pertinent question if what you're really after is "How crazy are your abusive parents who force you to train for one sport year round and are going to cause you to need Tommy John Surgery when you'd really rather be at Joey's birthday party or playing chess at the library?"

Very true. But a yes answer could also indicate that you have a life outside softball and you happen to have a friend who does not train or that trains at a different time. I would expect any athlete to answer this in the affirmative. In the absence of additional questions it is pretty meaningless.

Aug 12, 2014
I want to see the study that compares High School age kids who go year round at 1 or more sports with those that spend 3 months or more out of the year doing nothing. I still say that "Overuse Injuries" however defined are heavily influenced by inadequate or improper training.

We agree on this point - I said it previously. The best way to prevent overuse injuries is with overall fitness and strength training.

Also, all of the doctors/physical therapists/etc. who advocate for taking 4 months a year off (or however long) from a sport are very clear that you should be doing some other sport/physical activity/training during this time, not sitting on the couch eating twinkies. The point is to take a break from whatever repetitive motion your sport involves, such as pitching, hitting, shooting jump shots, serving a volleyball, throwing footballs, etc.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We agree on this point - I said it previously. The best way to prevent overuse injuries is with overall fitness and strength training.

Also, all of the doctors/physical therapists/etc. who advocate for taking 4 months a year off (or however long) from a sport are very clear that you should be doing some other sport/physical activity/training during this time, not sitting on the couch eating twinkies. The point is to take a break from whatever repetitive motion your sport involves, such as pitching, hitting, shooting jump shots, serving a volleyball, throwing footballs, etc.

You must agree that 4 months is both extreme and for most unrealistic.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas

???

Totally wrong. You are repeating an old wive's tale...which is, "If my DD is fit, then she is immune from the laws of science."

"Overuse injuries" come from overuse, not from lack of fitness. For example, steoarthritis (arthritis caused by the destruction of the cartilege) is simply due to overuse...generally, simply from "old age". But, steoarthritis can occur in younger people due to overuse.

The classic softball example is damage to the bicep tendons from pitching. The bicep tendons the prime "shock absorber" for pitching. Luckily, bicep tendons are pretty tough in the first place, so most kids never do another damage to them to even notice. But, the damage is there.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
???

Totally wrong. You are repeating an old wive's tale...which is, "If my DD is fit, then she is immune from the laws of science."

"Overuse injuries" come from overuse, not from lack of fitness. For example, steoarthritis (arthritis caused by the destruction of the cartilege) is simply due to overuse...generally, simply from "old age". But, steoarthritis can occur in younger people due to overuse.

The classic softball example is damage to the bicep tendons from pitching. The bicep tendons the prime "shock absorber" for pitching. Luckily, bicep tendons are pretty tough in the first place, so most kids never do another damage to them to even notice. But, the damage is there.

Never knew that prevention was the same as immunity. So drugs that prevent illness actually make you immune. Good to know.

Aug 12, 2014
You must agree that 4 months is both extreme and for most unrealistic.

I don't think it's extreme. I do agree that in the current culture of youth sports it is unrealistic to expect kids to take that much time off if they are playing at a competitive level.

Aug 12, 2014
???

It is totally correct. If you have stronger muscles and good flexibility, the risks of most overuse injuries are greatly reduced. There are probably some specific injuries that you can't help, but there are fewer injuries when overall fitness is increased. There have been studies done where coaches have incorporated specific workouts into practices, and the players on those teams had lower injury rates. There is a lot of solid research to back this up.

An example of a common overuse injury in kids is Sever's disease, which is an inflammation in the growth plate of the heel. The risks of developing it are greatly reduced by developing good flexibility and strength in the achilles, calves, and hamstrings.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole