Defensive Ready Position - Be Moving or Be Still?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
We had some UCLA players run one of our practices and they emphasized entering your circle of focus (or bubble). What does that mean? Between pitches the defensive players are relaxed and stinging straight up. As the pitcher goes into her windup, they take a step forward into their ready position with glove down, glove foot slightly forward, and 100% focused in the batter. So to answer your question both feet are on the ground and they have stopped moving forward by the time the ball reaches home plate. If they were actually moving forward, by defintion one foot would be off the ground and it would take a split second faster to change directions to move left or right to field a ball. When both feet are planted on the ground, you can immediately move to the ball in any direction.

I use hula hoops in the dirt to teach the circle of concentration (focus) concept. Look at others sports and see what other athletes are doing. I liken playing 3rd base to a goalie in hockey. Rarely is anyone motionless.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
However, if the kids are playing in a proper position, then yes. But most 8u 9u coaches are babying the kids so they can make throws.
Funny but, also so true. Seems the 3rd baseman's with bad arms seemed to play the closest. At all ages.

Mar 26, 2013
I prefer stepping into a position so that both feet are on the ground w/ weight on the balls of the feet at the anticipated time of contact - like a basketball defensive position - a not dead still, athletic, coiled, ready to explode position. If you are moving forward significantly, it will take longer to move in another direction. That said, a fielder particularly an outfielder sometimes will be moving laterally based on observed pitch location
I strongly second the weight on the balls of the feet. Too many players are crouched and sitting on their heels.

I'm not sure what you mean by "coiled." Players shouldn't be tensing muscles, which is another problem I see.

This is worth practicing occasionally along with the various first steps. It can be done quickly all together as a group.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I like players stepping into their defensive position as it encourages getting into an athletic position with the weight on the balls of the feet and the weight off the heels. I don't think you could consider this moving forward by the time of contact, but it certainly gives them the best chance to react and move in the right direction.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I like players stepping into their defensive position as it encourages getting into an athletic position with the weight on the balls of the feet and the weight off the heels. I don't think you could consider this moving forward by the time of contact, but it certainly gives them the best chance to react and move in the right direction.

That may well be true for right or left movement, but I don't think it's true for moving forward or back. I think there is a trade-off here.

Aug 15, 2014
We had some UCLA players run one of our practices and they emphasized entering your circle of focus (or bubble). What does that mean? Between pitches the defensive players are relaxed and stinging straight up. As the pitcher goes into her windup, they take a step forward into their ready position with glove down, glove foot slightly forward, and 100% focused in the batter. So to answer your question both feet are on the ground and they have stopped moving forward by the time the ball reaches home plate. If they were actually moving forward, by defintion one foot would be off the ground and it would take a split second faster to change directions to move left or right to field a ball. When both feet are planted on the ground, you can immediately move to the ball in any direction.

This is the same system we teach, we step into our 100% circle as the pitch gets in the hitting zone . Then step out if ball is not in play.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
That may well be true for right or left movement, but I don't think it's true for moving forward or back. I think there is a trade-off here.

Maybe, but then I want my infielders to have additional range left/right more than forward/back. If they truly need to move forward I figure I have multiple players moving to the ball and with good bunt coverage our forward issues normally only show up on that full swing/bunt result type hit where most teams have issues... and back movement - well unless it is to catch a pop up in shallow outfield, if they have to move significantly backwards it is going to be a tough play all round any way. I'd take this tradeoff for smaller gaps and more fielding range on ground balls/line drives on either side of my infielders.

It is not dissimilar to how you play defense in basketball when you close out on a ball handler. I want to be able to move left and right and be able to retreat/cutoff someone trying to get by me.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I want a loose and relaxed defender. One who is moving on the pitch and really studying the pitch location and the contact point to get a good first step towards the play. I remind them to stay in the moment and "play" the game. Don't get complacent and find your self watching.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Creeping forward.

And as GM said...leave it up to the outfielders to "read" the batters stance & pitch location to anticipate where she might go with the ball. It's no guarantee, but you need to play the percentages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00