Defensive playbook

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2015
I am coaching my DD as a first year 10 and I can safely say that girls at this age will be successful if taught a few simple things that are practiced regularly.

Throw and Catch

1. Teach them proper throwing mechanics - These girls will hit their target regularly throwing close and
easy, but they need to learn to do it throwing hard and from distance (through long toss). This will
only come with proper mechanics and training.

2. Teach them how to catch balls that are not thrown directly at their gloves. I don't care how many
defensive drills you work on, if your girls cannot throw or catch it won't matter! I see way too many
$10 plays and .05cent throws to players with average gloves at best.

3. Proper base running - Nobody seems to realize the importance of this, and therefor they do not
teach it to any extent anymore. Proper base running is essential and should be done at every
practice!

Again, these 3 things alone will make a huge difference, and keep you off the glycerin pills.

I'm coaching my stepdaughter's team (5th grade-8th grade). Personally I think this is too big of a age span but we are getting girls from a limited pool. Some of these girls are just playing because their friends are on the team or their parents want them to play (that's fine) but some of these girls are very serious and the 7th and 8th graders are looking at the next level (HS and travel). These are the girls who can really learn from reading the plays themselves and then practicing them.

As for teaching the basics you are absolutely correct. I am getting some of these girls coming up from our Minors division who dont have the basic skills. Not saying my way is right because there are as many ways to teach something as their are coaches. Just wish these girls would move up a division and know how to throw or swing a bat. I have a lot of girls who move up and have no idea where the positions even are.

May 17, 2012
I will send out to everyone that PM'd me their email tonight.

The information is actually free online I just can't find it at the moment.

Mar 13, 2015
I've held practices in our local library conference room. It's all chalkboard with hand-outs. Each handout is position specific with diagrams and arrows, etc. Handouts also include slim-jims, chips and drinks, etc. The kids and parents alike love this session. Each kid also gets assigned to do a one page report on two MLB hall-of-famers and an old ballpark no longer in existence.

It's your team...run with your passion and commitment...and don't under estimate your kids....they want to learn.

Remember....Knowledge is Power.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

TJ

So I am just taking over as manager of my Step daughter's rec league team this year after being an AC for the past 3 seasons. Coaching many different sports since I was 20 I've always taken coaching seriously (but not too seriously). Yesterday at the tryout for new girls coming in and moving up from the minors division I met a parent who had hoped that her daughter would be picked by a certain coach. (very good coach actually and has my full respect). So while we spoke I just gave my input and how I'm hoping to do things. One thing I am making sure is that these girls come in understanding the actual game. I cant tell you how many girls move up not knowing basic sball terminology and believe it or not the actual positions. I've already planned on my first practice going over these before we even pick up a glove. I also told them how I am planning a field trip with their parents to check out our local college play my alma mater. I want them to see how the game is played at a higher leve.

So after we had spoke the mom and dad come over and say to me "You know, it might benefit her to be on your team". It made me feel really good to have a parent believe in me just from a conversation.

Long story short there are numerous successful ways to coach. But coaching is also teaching. It doesnt and in my opinion shouldnt just take place on the field. IT doesnt need to be looked at as homework.

Nov 18, 2013
I don't see any of the comments as negative, just realistic. The OP is talking about 9 yo's and very likely rec ball if they're playing up at 12U. Handouts with team info and basic things they can work on at home is fine, but a playbook to study at that age is a little over the top.

Mar 13, 2015
I don't see any of the comments as negative, just realistic. The OP is talking about 9 yo's and very likely rec ball if they're playing up at 12U. Handouts with team info and basic things they can work on at home is fine, but a playbook to study at that age is a little over the top.

Yeah personally I'm not looking for a playbook for them. For our rec team I have 5th grade (girls who move up who barely know that the 2nd basemen doesnt actually play on 2nd base) to 8th graders who are already well established and looking forward to HS ball. An occasional handout is not a bad thing. Whatever works to get them to understand the game better.

I'm also incorporating you tube videos. I have two girls each who are concentrating on 1st base as well as catcher. I will send them brief (3 minutes) videos to check out about the specific position.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414