Defensive playbook

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Wow the negativity on this thread.

I was thinking the same thing.

I don't see anything wrong with giving the players a "play book". I've done it with other things on my rec team. It gives them reference info to use at home. You still coach it on the field, too. What's wrong with that?

Thanks for all the links to play book ideas.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Fastpitch Softball

Try this link, there's plenty of good info for defensive strategy for 8U, 10U, 12U, etc. Just click on "defensive strategy" in the left pain then scroll down. Find your age group and have at it. There's plenty of other good info on that site also. Good Luck. TJ

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I've held practices in our local library conference room. It's all chalkboard with hand-outs. Each handout is position specific with diagrams and arrows, etc. Handouts also include slim-jims, chips and drinks, etc. The kids and parents alike love this session. Each kid also gets assigned to do a one page report on two MLB hall-of-famers and an old ballpark no longer in existence.

It's your team...run with your passion and commitment...and don't under estimate your kids....they want to learn.

Remember....Knowledge is Power.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

TJ

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I've held practices in our local library conference room. It's all chalkboard with hand-outs. Each handout is position specific with diagrams and arrows, etc. Handouts also include slim-jims, chips and drinks, etc. The kids and parents alike love this session. Each kid also gets assigned to do a one page report on two MLB hall-of-famers and an old ballpark no longer in existence.

It's your team...run with your passion and commitment...and don't under estimate your kids....they want to learn.

Remember....Knowledge is Power.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

TJ

Amen TJ. I love the classroom practices.

Apr 1, 2010
Ball, Base, Backup in that order.

If they follow that on every ball in play they'll be able to play most positions just fine at this age. It is simple, easy to remember and easy for you to coach (ok, you knew you couldn't get the ball, so what should you do next?)

(Get the ball, if you can't then do you need to cover a base, if not then move to back up a throw)

LOL, what's sad is that even the college girls don't always follow this simple, but effective rule.

May 17, 2012
I have one from ASA but its too large to add here. Its called Playbook of Defensives situations.
I agree with these guys though stick with the basics - BBB.
Heres a cut and paste from it

Softball Playbook
Single to Left Field (No One on Base)
Goal: The goal in this situation is to keep the runner from reaching 2nd base.
LF—Left fielder fields the ball in the most secure way possible, preferably the same way an
infielder would. It’s also acceptable to drop to one knee if the outfield is rough. On a ball
hit down the line or in the gap, the left fielder must be prepared for a possible play at 2nd
base. The fielder will throw the ball to the cutoff or directly to 2nd base in case of a play
there.
CF—Center fielder moves toward the left fielder to back up the play.
SS—Shortstop plays the ball and retreats to a cutoff position in line with 2nd base, if possible. If
the shortstop cannot get to cutoff position, the throw goes directly to second base.
2B—Second baseman cover 2nd base in case of a potential play at that base.
RF—Right fielder moves into a backup position in line with the throw to 2nd base. The fielder
must maintain proper distance to easily get to a poor throw.
3B—Third baseman covers 3rd base.
1B—First baseman watches the runner touch 1st base and then moves to a position to cover 1st
base for a potential play on the batter-runner.
C—Catcher should maintain position at home plate.
P—Pitcher should move to a position behind the pitching rubber to back up the play in case of
an errant throw.

Its 17 pages.

This is best practices and the one you want to use. It's to large to attach here. PM me your email and I will send it to you.

Mar 21, 2013
I am coaching my DD as a first year 10 and I can safely say that girls at this age will be successful if taught a few simple things that are practiced regularly.

Throw and Catch

1. Teach them proper throwing mechanics - These girls will hit their target regularly throwing close and
easy, but they need to learn to do it throwing hard and from distance (through long toss). This will
only come with proper mechanics and training.

2. Teach them how to catch balls that are not thrown directly at their gloves. I don't care how many
defensive drills you work on, if your girls cannot throw or catch it won't matter! I see way too many
$10 plays and .05cent throws to players with average gloves at best.

3. Proper base running - Nobody seems to realize the importance of this, and therefor they do not
teach it to any extent anymore. Proper base running is essential and should be done at every
practice!

Again, these 3 things alone will make a huge difference, and keep you off the glycerin pills.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00