DD's team may be imploding

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Yes, the season ends at the end of July. There are several big tournaments (travel) scheduled, and the prevailing sentiment is that parents are resenting the expense of traveling, knowing our girls will be out after the first game on Sunday, really limiting the possibility of any college coaches seeing their daughters. It's a ton of money, and at this point in their softball careers, they want to be seen. It's paramount to most of them. We all know they can be seen in pool play on Saturday if the coaches want to see them, but we ALSO know that coaches watch the finals, and that's what our girls always miss out on. So there is just a lot of frustration. And a lot of it stems from the fact that AC was supposed to be the HC. I can't help but think the whole season would have gone much differently if that had actually happened.

What year in school is your daughter?

College coaches don't care whether it's the championship game or the first round. If they want to see you, they will find you.

Is your main concern that the coach makes bad decisions that lead to losing games? Or that he doesn't know how to help your DD get recruited? Those might be two different things.

If it's just a case of a coach who doesn't manage games well, I'd stick around. You described him as a nice guy, after all.

But if you're trying to get recruited and the coach has no clue about helping with that, and this was billed as a showcase team, then you may have reason to be more selfish because there's more at stake.

Still need to hear more. Fact that you say making the c'ship games will help DD get watched by coaches leads me to believe that the coach isn't helping people know how it really works. College coaches don't just show up to big games hoping to find prospects. They go watch players that they have reason to believe are pretty good. They have reason to think that primarily from players who go to their camps, or from the recommendation of TB coaches that they trust, or get their attention through emailing, etc.

Sep 29, 2014
Unless your DD is a stud pitcher or #4 hitter who crushes the ball at will the chances of falling into a team that will be going to Showcases and Nationals is pretty slim.

Unfortunately I would stick it out the best you can for now for another month, let the AC that left know that you are going to honor your commitment to the team until the end of the season but will be looking for other options come next season and would be really interested if he can put something together.

Apr 29, 2013
Unless your DD is a stud pitcher or #4 hitter who crushes the ball at will the chances of falling into a team that will be going to Showcases and Nationals is pretty slim.

Unfortunately I would stick it out the best you can for now for another month, let the AC that left know that you are going to honor your commitment to the team until the end of the season but will be looking for other options come next season and would be really interested if he can put something together.

This is kinda what I'm leaning toward. I'll pass all this good advice on to my daughter. Thanks everyone!

Oct 2, 2015
If your DD has aspirations to play college softball I would IMMEDIATELY find a team that is going to showcases and will get her the exposure she needs. 16U is PRIME TIME for recruiting and you do not want to waste a year playing for a coach who's goals do not line up with yours.

This right here^^^^^
If you were told her team was going to be in Showcases, and they are not...they are not holding up their end of the bargain.
Was that the main reason you joined the team?...for Showcase/College Coach exposure?
If so, you held up your end of the bargain and the team/coach did not....time to pack...

Feb 19, 2012
West US
DD stayed on a team that wasn't in her best interest because we had mad a commitment. Unless both sides are equally committed, walk away. No point in making her stick out somewhere she doesn't want to be, for a coach who wasn't suppose to be. Cut your losses and pick up elsewhere, if she's a good player a good team will take her.

Feb 13, 2013
Hate to say I have been in this situation, was the AC for many years with one of my daughters and made many attempts at getting the HC to change things. Think the only reason my daughter stayed is her loyalty to a commitment and playing some quality tournaments. My daughter has graduated and committed to a D3 college that has the academics she wants and still gives her some time on the softball field.

The big issue on my mind is what does your daughter want, what we want may not be what she wants?

Have you approached the coach with your concerns, most coaches are receptive to an engaged parent asking legitimate questions. If you go into the meeting on full attack mode expect to get brushed off or possibly told to leave. Approach the questions like you would want them asked of you. Asking questions will let the coach know you are holding them accountable to any previous statements regarding how the team will be run and let the HC know of your disappointment in how things are currently operating.

There is always the option to pick up with other teams when this team is not playing. My daughter has done this on several occasions for local tournament and Nationals. Availability of this can vary greatly on the area and what position your daughter plays. One thing I make sure is that the coach is aware she will be playing for another team, this is a basic courtesy and can eliminate any possible issues if the coach were to find out from another source.

As others have stated 16U is the prime time for college recruiting, however it is not the end of the world if at 15U she is not in all the major college showcase events. Have your daughter enter exposure camps and clinics for the colleges she is interested. They will cost you more money but you can target exposure camps that have the colleges she is interested in at them. The college my daughter is attending showed up at one of the local exposure events when she was 15U, she also received an offer from another school who was at that exposure event.

If the situation is not detrimental or unsafe to your daughter I would consider staying while looking for other options for next season and entering as many exposure camps and college clinics as possible.

Good luck to your daughter!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55