DD needing some encouragement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ah jeez, that's hilarious. Oh well, better the ones I was getting for some sort of makeup or another. I have no current plans to go Caitlyn Jenner, although I suppose it never hurts to keep one's options open.

Just remember, JAD, the ads aren't tied to the person who put up the post. They're tied to those reading them. So right back at ya!

Jul 2, 2015
This post really got to me...

A few things to think about.

You stated 2.5 tournaments she has been in a slump. Is this slump stemming from HS ball? Sometimes it takes a while for the TB coach to readjust players with that transition.

Second, from your OP your DD can hit no question.

Third, my advice....
If it is mental...
teach her or find someone who can, because it won't be done at team practice(there is no time) the mental approach to hitting. (This is a philosophy out there I forgot whose it is but it is good. (It maybe dagenias)
She needs confidence rebuilt.
She needs to visualize. (Can she see the spin?, if not have her focus on the ball that intensely that she can see it.
Maybe she needs to figure out what her pitch is and that is her focus for that at bat. When she gets that pitch-hit it!
Ask her what she feels in the box mentally. What is her self talk? (Make sure it is positive)

If she can not recognize a pitch..
One of my all time favorites is to have ALL players gear up as a catcher and learn to see the ball, the spin, and the location.

If her swing is off...
Video tape her swing...try ubersense(free app) does she have a hitch??

Remember the transition from 14 to 16 is the toughest!

And as ur subject states she needs encouragement.
She can, she can, she can!

**a girl needs to feel good to perform good**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You stated 2.5 tournaments she has been in a slump. Is this slump stemming from HS ball? Sometimes it takes a while for the TB coach to readjust players with that transition.

teach her or find someone who can, because it won't be done at team practice(there is no time) the mental approach to hitting. (This is a philosophy out there I forgot whose it is but it is good. (It maybe dagenias)

If she can not recognize a pitch..
One of my all time favorites is to have ALL players gear up as a catcher and learn to see the ball, the spin, and the location.

If her swing is off...
Video tape her swing...try ubersense(free app) does she have a hitch??

Good food for thought.

Don't think it's the transition from HS ball. Trouble with school ball transition to me isn't the timing, but the fact that the quality of practice and instruction for hitting is basically 0. It's a 4-month hole where she won't improve.

She doesn't recognize pitches that well. Great suggestion about catching. In warmups, we have 4 pitchers but only 2 catchers, and coach often gets a position player to catch. Might suggest that DD volunteer to catch in pregame as much as possible.

I do video-tape frequently and definitely see a couple of issues that hold her back vs. good pitching.

Another thing we've begun to do is see live pitching on her own time. Not easy to get pitchers to agree to do it. I've got a couple of older former college pitchers who throw only about 50, which is slow, but still helpful. Then got a couple who are actually current small-college pitchers. They're not super fast, but probably 55-58. That's a big help. One never throws a fastball. Eager to see the effect of this practice over the long haul. Have faced those 2 pitchers only once apiece so far.

Also, one of those pitchers is an excellent hitter (better hitter than pitcher) and hopefully can share insights from a hitter's perspective.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Third, my advice....
If it is mental...

"The pitcher is not your problem, you are her problem."

DS enjoyed H.A. Dorfman's stuff.

She really needs to work on hitting the pitches that give her the most trouble. Good 16U teams are usually well-coached. This means some coach is going to see the holes in her swing and make sure she receives a steady diet of pitches that exploit those holes. Good pitchers will simply execute those pitches with greater consistency than she has been used to seeing so far, and that is what is causing her BA to slip.

And by "most trouble" I don't necessarily mean the pitches she strikes out on. I tend to call pitches that I know girls will get themselves out on, even if that means a pop-up, weak ground ball or fly ball to the outfield. She needs to learn to not get herself out on those pitches!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1