DD needing some encouragement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Is the whole team struggling or just your DD? Better pitching can cause the whole teams BA to drop and would be less of a concern than if just your DD is struggling. Better fielding will also take away some hits on plays that weaker teams may not make.

The team as a whole is hitting less than before, but DD more sharply than others. Team is actually 4-6 during this run, thanks to a couple of pitching gems. We got 1-hit twice in Atlanta, but I think we won one of them 1-0.

Jun 7, 2013
Is the whole team struggling or just your DD? Better pitching can cause the whole teams BA to drop and would be less of a concern than if just your DD is struggling. Better fielding will also take away some hits on plays that weaker teams may not make.

This is a good point! Last weekend my daughter "struggled" with her hitting. However, my 16U DD was facing top notch pitchers who threw rises, drops, CUs and curves.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
However, my 16U DD was facing top notch pitchers who threw rises, drops, CUs and curves.

Those four are giving DD the cold sweats. Should be outlawed, IMO.

Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as Famine, Pestilence, Destruction and Death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Rise, Drop, Changeup and Curve.

Oct 3, 2009
What your DD is going through is pretty typical at least it was for my DD. She has always seen herself as a good hitter but when she started playing at a national level her hitting suffered. I think JAD, Sluggers, and others hit many good points. But I guess the question I have is she hitting the ball hard? Line drives in the gap at upper levels suddenly get run down by CFs. Hits up the middle are scooped behind 2nd base by SSs committed to SEC schools before you can even get the words "Good hit!!" out of your mouth.

If she is not hitting the ball hard this level for my DD made her watch the pitcher for patterns. What does she throw for her first pitch especially. Most pitchers like to get ahead and that first pitch might be the best one you see all AB if it is thrown for a strike. Many pitchers and pitch callers can fall into a routine on when they call CUs for example. Look for that pattern. Bottom line pitch selection is key because the velocity, movement, and location are at a different level and you have to adjust. Let her know it is an adjustment every player goes through at some point if you keep progressing in your softball journey.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
But I guess the question I have is she hitting the ball hard?

Not really. Pattern is that she puts the ball in play, but nothing dangerous. Some strikeouts, but not many. Probably has as very high percentage of ''put-ball-in-play per swing'' ratios on team. Considering the lack of hits, you'd expect more swing-and-miss and foul-back. Which suggests to me that she's not being selective enough and swinging at pitches that can't be driven, and/or being tentative with the swing. She does swing at the first pitch a lot. Probably sees fewer pitchers than anybody on the team.

She's capable of hitting the ball hard for a lanky girl. Did live hitting about 2 weeks ago vs. 2 HS pitchers and hit 5 over the fence in about 20 minutes. But pitchers were just trying to spot fastballs and threw no movement or change.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
If she's seeing pitchers with good movement, have her see if she can pick out a pattern or a pitch/location the pitcher favors, especially early in the count, and try to look for that pitch in that location. Or cut the plate in half and only look inside or outside. Anything to narrow the zone.

Beyond that, tell her to focus on the process rather than the outcome. Just work on seeing the ball well and hitting hard, making little improvements as she goes. Maybe she missed horribly on the last couple of rises, but now either got a piece of it or laid off. Maybe she fouled off a couple of curves so she's getting the feel for how to hit them.

Ultimately remind her this too shall pass. Maybe not as soon as you like but it will. The more she sees of it the better she'll get at it.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Cervelli of the Pirates in post game interview said it best after he doubled in some runs. Went something like this, You are hitting well and that double was key, how are you doing it?

I see ball, I hit ball.

I am telling my DD this right now, just relax, see the ball, hit the ball. The base hits will come, unfortunately it won't be overnight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AymeePitcherMom