DD making some progress with Bill Hillhouse

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

In the 1st video, she looks to be very closed at release. The 2nd video she looks to be more open.

If, you pause the 2nd video, she still has the same finish at release. The follow through to the glove shoulder is forced long after release.

One thing that i notice is the distance of her arm from her body, she looks like she is pitching around the hip.

All in all, the 2nd video looks better to me because she is more open.

ETA, not every pitch in the 2nd video has the same finish as the 1st video, but some of them do. I bet she figures it out in no time. She looks strong.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
Have you noticed any differences in her pitching before and after hillhouse lessons(speed,movement,accuracy?). I know its only been a few lessons.

Speed has went done a little bit but he said once she gets used to the new style it will go up quite a bit. As far as movement and accuracy I think that has gotten a lot better

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
Bill has told my DD countless times that it's not about finishing to the opposite shoulder, it's about snapping the elbow. But until that clicks in her own brain, kids will force it... just as "HE" is forced in many young pitchers. It's a pretty safe bet he's told this young lady the same thing... whip it don't force it. 2 lessons in, it looks like she's on her way!

BTW, what is up with the walls at that facility? Is the building falling apart?

cg

He does tell her to relax her shoulders and whip the elbow. it's going to take time to change since she has been taught HE for 4 years but it looks to me like she is going to catch on pretty quick. I'm not sure about the wall...I was thinking the same thing

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2009
He does tell her to relax her shoulders and whip the elbow. it's going to take time to change since she has been taught HE for 4 years but it looks to me like she is going to caught on pretty quick. I'm not sure about the wall...I was thinking the same thing

Well then Bill teaches her exactly as I would. lol. Yes I'm kidding. I just see a lot of similarities between your daughter and mine.

FWIW, my DD also had a drop in speed at first. But the velocity came back with the comfort. And that took some patients.

cg

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Speed has went done a little bit but he said once she gets used to the new style it will go up quite a bit. As far as movement and accuracy I think that has gotten a lot better

The speed will come back. It is just a question of her getting the timing down a little more.

She is going to be something.

Jul 14, 2008
I'm sorry, but I'm confused...........

This is her just 3 short months ago correct? Where is this hideous "Hello Elbow" delivery?

I'm watching about 10 straight pitches in this clip where she finishes at the opposite shoulder and her elbow snaps "out" on every one of them..........Just like she learning from Bill???........

I guess I'm not following............If "elbow snap" is her goal........It looks to me like she's already got all she needs..........

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2013
Her elbow "snaps out" on the last couple of pitches in the first video also. It looks like that is her natural motion, and HE was something she was forced to do.

Jun 13, 2009
BM, maybe we are going to venture into the whole "is it a natural thing" topic. I know in my DD's case, she looked very similar to this young lady. When she pitched in games, you could see her wanting to whip her elbow. Yet in practice, the coach was forcing "HE". This added confusion and impeded her ability to learn "pitches". She was basically doing 2 motions, one for the coach at practice and the one she did in games when she actually pitched.

When we got with Bill at lessons, she immediately went into her "HE" practice mode that she was programmed with from previous coaches over the years. So it because a mission to get her out of doing that at practice so she could have consistency in her pitching.

cg

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
I agree with you guys about the difference between my DD pitching in a game versus lessons. Whip action is much more natural for her and that is generally what you saw in games and HE in Practice. I think she already has a good understanding of the arm whip but she still forces it because of the HE instruction she has received for the past four years. The biggest problem she has is getting open and more leg drive and relaxing of the shoulders. All of these are hard to break because HE teaches you to be very stiff, stay closed and step not leap and drag.

This video was taking after her first lesson with Bill...Side view

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wAAVtiFTRmQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jun 18, 2010
Red, I am not sure how tech savey you are, but here are a few suggestions for you:
1. Get the coaches eye application for your smart phone. It will allow you to replay your video in slowmo, or step through it.
2. Learn how to transfer the video from your smart phone to your home computer, then open your video with QuickTime player so that you can enlarge the image and step though it frame-by-frame.
3. Don't put her full name in the video you post on youtube. Use a nickname or initials.

Regarding this side view:
1. Her pivot foot looses contact with the floor during the leap.
2. IMO, as the stride foot lands, I would encourage a 45 degree angle. She is close, but I would try to get her just a little more open, I think this would help her hips open a little more.
3. The arm and shoulder still seem a little stiff. Have Ash work on feeling long and loose.
4. At release, and this may be nit picking, and I may also be off base, but I feel like she has a slight bend at her waist. My DD also does this at times. I feel this is kind of a bowlers move, and a leak of power. Look at Amanda, Jennie, and Fico in the model pitchers thread and they all finish without a bend in the waste, as if all their momentum and power was delivered to the ball.

She looks big and strong, and is really closer than you probably think.

AR1_zps4d86bab1.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC