DD making some progress with Bill Hillhouse

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Blue, Oklahoma
DD had her second lesson with Bill Hillhouse yesterday and she is starting to get the hang of it. Check out the video and let me know what you think.

First video is her old instructor teaching HE

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/49VCxPRVMCQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Second Video is DD two sessions in with Bill Hillhouse

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vP_0Yftds30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3rd Video (View from Behind)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s15DgHmaKic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
Thanks for posting the differences.

It is probably where the camera is but in the 2nd video you really can hear the ball hitting the C’s glove.

Jun 18, 2010
Thanks for posting. IMO, you can really tell she is trying to pull her hand to her opposite shoulder. Tell her to relax and she'll find her own natural follow through. I'd really like to see side video (throwing arm side).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMO, you can really tell she is trying to pull her hand to her opposite shoulder.

My opinion as well...in the last pitch, you can see she is doing an IR release, and then immediately decides she has to pull her right hand to the left shoulder.

She is looks much better. The economy of movement is so much better.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
she's in good hands, I haven't seen any evidence that BH would coach anything forced, everything I see from him is really pragmatic and tries to eliminate extraneous motion, so that new follow through might be a way of exaggerating to get out of previous bad habits and over time will get natural. I don't know who the previous coach was but I am pretty confident you just made a big upgrade in coaching.

Aug 20, 2013
We had only one lessons with BH(bummer) but when we weren't getting whip at all he mentioned thinking about touch your shoulder to get out of the quick stop or HE release. I think it was just to get you started on the motion and not what you will really be doing. Looks good. Congrats.

May 31, 2012
Have you noticed any differences in her pitching before and after hillhouse lessons(speed,movement,accuracy?). I know its only been a few lessons.

Jun 13, 2009
Bill has told my DD countless times that it's not about finishing to the opposite shoulder, it's about snapping the elbow. But until that clicks in her own brain, kids will force it... just as "HE" is forced in many young pitchers. It's a pretty safe bet he's told this young lady the same thing... whip it don't force it. 2 lessons in, it looks like she's on her way!

BTW, what is up with the walls at that facility? Is the building falling apart?

cg

Feb 7, 2013
The more I understand IR and arm whip, the less I am concerned about the hello elbow finish than I am about the mechanics upstream. What do I mean? As long as she is not "pushing the ball" down the circle and then finishing HE (which is taught a lot at the younger levels), but is instead "pulling it down the circle" into release than the finish is less important. If you look closely at the first video, she actually uses some good IR and only after the ball is released does she then try to force the arm back to the right side (to please her coach). Could she do a little better by letting the arm and hand just go naturally where it wants to go without being forced, yes, but in the second video she is also forcing the arm to the left shoulder which will also limit her speed and movement until if and when she can just let it go. In general, I think she looks very good.

Feb 5, 2010
Red,

She does appear to be strong. To me it looks like she needs to work on getting open. I'm not a coach but she looks very square to the target JMHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors