DD Landing at a 45° angle but still need some help......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
032013liz.gif

I am wondering if this is good IR...I know it is not the best quality but hopefully the arm is visible enough to see the plant point of the elbow and the whip of the arm. I posted this in .gif format so it can be seen over and over without having to see the whole video. She is doing great. Still working on the arm circle and engraining the 45° plant into muscle memory. Many thanks to everyone.......

Here is another one. I am wondering why she pushes this pitch rather than rotating the arm. I think it is becasue her arm is "locked" and too rigid. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Boomer, nice work. Things are looking better. I'll let some of the more experienced people address the sarcasm related to the roll over statement. How's the arm circle coming? Release is still pretty far from her thigh so I'm guessing its tilted still.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Inde, the arm circle is work in progress. I think it is gonna be a long task to get it corrected. She has always been very good at working on something for an hour or so then WALA it was fixed but we worked on the arm circle all afternoon and it still is pretty bent in most pitches. I know this one is going to take a lot of drill work and most of all good ole fashion hard work. Fortunately my DD loves doing it so I am just along for the ride and to give her some feedback. Besides wall drills, "dry fire" motions, and K drils is there anything else to do? I appreciate the response and thank you for the positive words!!

Jul 17, 2012
032013liz.gif

I am wondering if this is good IR...I know it is not the best quality but hopefully the arm is visible enough to see the plant point of the elbow and the whip of the arm. I posted this in .gif format so it can be seen over and over without having to see the whole video. She is doing great. Still working on the arm circle and engraining the 45° plant into muscle memory. Many thanks to everyone.......

Here is another one. I am wondering why she pushes this pitch rather than rotating the arm. I think it is becasue her arm is "locked" and too rigid. Any thoughts?
I'll say this, but I fear I'll be harrassed/Tarred and Feathered/hung publicly. I cant help but think from watching her that she's losing a good bit of whip as a result of the upper arm never decellerating. I know it's not the end goal, but maybe a way for her to "feel" the whip would be to tell her to "stop" her upper arm at release and bend the elbow. This is one of those interim training techniques where you know it's not right, but the exaggeration may help her to feel how the lower arm and wrist will whip when the upper arm stops. Don't decellerate, but rather stop it abruptly. Think of it in the same concept as "whipping a towel". A fast forward flick of the arm and wrist with a hard stop causing the end of the towel to propel forward and "pop" as a result of the tension caused by the stop of the forward momentum.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Keep in mind that I/R and whip are two ingredients that make up a good delivery. I/R is the rotation of a limb in a counter clockwise direction (for right handers.) The arm can I/R with the elbow locked. The elbow can whip with the lower arm externally rotating (bowling style.) Combine good elbow whip with good I/R and you have the most efficient means to propel a softball. Palm up at 9 o'clock would help her as well as leading a little more with the elbow then locking it into the side to allow the lower arm to whip would be the ideal.

Boomers,

I would also like to know why the tape is sideways. Is this intentional? I think the release looks right but I'm wondering why you are not using the tape on the ball correctly to see the proper fastball spin.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Boomers,

I would also like to know why the tape is sideways. Is this intentional? I think the release looks right but I'm wondering why you are not using the tape on the ball correctly to see the proper fastball spin.

Correctly would be with it thru the middle of the horseshoe. Then make the tape stand up, and you get a drop ball, and all the pitch learning time saved. When they can stand it up, from release to target...they got it right ... forget all the wrist gimmicks. Get a Hockey puck... start with index, then move to the middle finger. IMHO

Last edited:
Correctly would be with it thru the middle of the horseshoe. Then make the tape stand up, and you get a drop ball, and all the pitch learning time saved. When they can stand it up, from release to target...they got it right ... forget all the wrist gimmicks. Get a Hockey puck... start with index, then move to the middle finger. IMHO

PC,

Maybe I don't understand your post. Most of the time I don't. Are you saying that the tape is oriented correctly here for a peel fastball? I'm assuming that is what she is trying to learn. If she is working on a turn over drop then she has it correct. If peel fastball then not. Maybe she is just randomly holding the ball. Hopefully Boomers will let us know.

push.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413