DD Landing at a 45° angle but still need some help......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
C

Concentrate on one or two things for a couple weeks...till she can do it without focus...the 45 angle (btw..i'd rather it be 30 degrees than over 45)

Agreed, you should be targeting 10 to 30 degrees for the stride foot. Anything greater than 30 produces slower ball speeds at release.

It seems like she had it figured out before you tried to "fix" her.

Good luck.

Gunner

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Fixing glove swim, others will have to help you there. As for the arm swing, hotly debated here from time to time. Many or even most college women do it. Many feel hiding the grip outweighs the benefit if there is any of the swing? My daughter doesn't swing. She uses a rock back and fall forward. Hal suggested run throughs or walk throughs which could help too.

Hal, i dont recall asking anything about posture, pushing off of the rubber, or raising the pivot toe. I do recall, however, mentioning the 45 degree angle in which she is landing and achieving IR. I could really care less if she is pushing off the rubber as far as she can at this point. I appreciate everyone elses advice on topic. We will continue working.

Gonna be honest, Hal and I are not always on the same page...but you can't simply discard advice because it is coming from someone you disagree with you have to ask yourself does it make sense, would this information this help. If she is not loading and getting a complete push off her foot will drag along where ever it feels like. Once she loads and strides off better her foot will go more forward and not as much to the left but it is always going to go a little left just not as much with a better load and push.

On the glove swim issue I mentioned it and many pitcher do overcome it but I just think hers is very severe and maybe she is not old enough or strong enough to overcome it, which is a good thing because now she can be taught correctly at a younger age.

Feb 5, 2010
Can't emphasize this enough CHANGE = TIME "When she does her drills, she doesn't swim but as soon as she starts to pitch it comes back". When she can do it CORRECTLY at 100% speed and effort, it will then be fixed, and even then will have to be watched. Blocking will not fix the problem, it only prevents it for a short time. Only hard work and a conscious effort will bring about change. Very, very slow process, but well worth it. There is not magic pill. As for separating, CHANGE = TIME there are different views on this as well. My personal choice would be Uneo style, the best of bother worlds IMHO

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Boomers,

Thr things I mentioned need to be fixxed. Fix those and some of the lesser issues will disappear. Until you do fix those things, you will only be re-enforcing incorrect mechanics and will be making it even harder for her to make the adjustments.

If she is getting 45 degrees wonderful. But, the muscle memory she is building pitching like she is right now, that will all change when the other larger issues get fixxed.

I shoot straight from the hip when it comes to advice I offer. If the transmission on the car is going out, I could care less if the headlights have been adjusted because that is the least of that car's problems.

Now I will add something I probably should have said in the first reply; If she continues pitching like that she will injure her lower back.

I have said what I needed to say. Now its up to you.

Good luck.

Last edited:
May 22, 2012
" She is not achieving IR and it seems she is pushing the ball"

It looks like a nice IR release to me, not a push, maybe it is more of a timing issue? It looks like (in this one pitch) that she is still at 12 Oclock during plant foot. I am not sure if that is what the advisors here recommend? Curious myself, actually

031813 - YouTube
Also, any advice on how to get that drag leg to come forward and not go off to the left?

Do you think the drag leg is passive? I don't think it is. After plant the drag leg has to drive into the blocking front leg as you pull the ball down the backside. This counters the torque of the arm. I think the glove swim is a way of countering this force also. Have her drive her leg instead of countering with the torso. Watch the Scarbourgh video and watch her drag leg almost stop right after plant then you see the strip on her pant legs drive (IR) as she pulls down the back side. No one seems to talk about this but I'm beginning to believe it is a big part of pitching.

Jul 14, 2008
Ok, so here's my 2 cents Boomer..........

You are her pitching coach correct? You've never pitched before correct? You've learned most of what you know about pitching from this forum and your own research correct? You've taught your DD to this level by yourself correct?.........

She looks awesome for a self-taught PC and student.......EXCEPT her arm circle. Until you fix the severe "over the head" circle, you will not achieve optimal positions for an optimal I/R delivery......It's time.........

You've corrected her plant foot........Don't tell me you can't correct her arm circle..........

031813 - YouTube

DD and I have worked on landing at more of a 45° angle with the plant foot. She really focused on it today and did very well. However, in watching the slow mo video, we noticed that the arm is not planting into the hip as it has when landing at a 90° angle with the plant foot. She is not achieving IR and it seems she is pushing the ball rather than internally rotating the arm when before she was able to plant that arm and achieve the desired IR. She is able to drag with the toe more and not the entire side of her foot but seems as though the drag leg is not coming forward. I do realize that the angle of the hips, shoulders, etc...are different due to the angle of the plant foot. Is this something that she will just have to keep working on and "find" the location of where the arm needs to go to achieve IR or we going about this the wrong way? Also, any advice on how to get that drag leg to come forward and not go off to the left? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.....

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
"She is not achieving IR and it seems she is pushing the ball rather than internally rotating the arm when before she was able to plant that arm and achieve the desired IR".

She has ok I/R, but is lacking whip at the elbow. The elbow did not appear to lock. Continue whip practice: playing underhand catch as often as possible. I think becoming more explosive with her initial arm swing will help.

"She is able to drag with the toe more and not the entire side of her foot but seems as though the drag leg is not coming forward.

If all else is as it should be, the drag leg will do what it needs to do to balance the body. Don't force it to do otherwise.

"I do realize that the angle of the hips, shoulders, etc...are different due to the angle of the plant foot. Is this something that she will just have to keep working on and "find" the location of where the arm needs to go to achieve IR or we going about this the wrong way?"

Changes and balancing out can take some time. Some changes immediately help to balance the body, while others take some reps to get the timing and flow.

"Also, any advice on how to get that drag leg to come forward and not go off to the left?"

Nope. Let the drag leg do what it needs to do. Focus on a strong drive and the drag will generally take care of itself (most times.)

I agree with Coach Hal on the drive advice. A good drive and "glove shove" can help iron some other issues out. She isn't loading with a good forward lean and explosion.

”I am thinking about putting something beside her to "block" the glove and keep it from flailing to the left. “

Please don’t force her to do this. Work on using the hands to drive hard to the catcher and use the glove drive to her advantage.

So which is best? Not separating the ball and losing forward inertia or separating the ball, bringing it back and getting more of a push???

I believe she needs to load and explode. If swinging arms back works for her, then help her facilitate that choice. She has to feel it and you can facilitate by having her try the variables and ask her what feels better. Meanwhile, give her feedback on what you see and talk about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild