DD hurt this weekend

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have to say that I think that the coach should have apologized. He didn't exercise good judgement. I also think it matters to the player. I don't think mosftballdad is out of line at all thinking the way he does. I too would have expected a phone call. JMHO!

Nov 29, 2009
The "I'm sorry" that should be directed to DD is a sign of compassion to HER...not me. It wasn't a bad hop it was a very hard hit ball to a player that was set too close to the coach for such a hard hit. It was hit so hard that the girls around her said she had no time to react. That's a lot more than just a bad hop. DD has some of the fastest reflexes I have seen on the field and she never had a chance. It was an accident but the coach played a part and a simple "I'm sorry" goes a long way with a player. The other girls know that she didn't say it and it goes in the back of their mind.

So has the coach even seen her to talk to her since getting hit? Did the coach get a chance to say that one got away from me. Didn't mean to hit it so hard. From what you're saying it doesn't sound like it. Maybe the coach is waiting to see your DD face to face. That's usually the best way to do something.

The other girls know that she didn't say it and it goes in the back of their mind.

And you've talked to everyone of them?

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
DS's 7th grade coach is throwing him BP one day in practice. He fouls a ball and hits himself in the nose with it. Blood all over his shirt and pants. Coach calls DW, she goes and gets DS, I meet them at the walk-in clinic, turns out everything's okay. That was three years ago. It never once in three years crossed my mind - until just now - that I should have been outraged that the coach didn't call us that night, or the next day, or ever, to check on him.

Nov 29, 2009
I too would have expected a phone call. JMHO!

The coach asked the dad to call her with an update on the player. The dad did not call the coach with and an update that night. The coach called the following morning at 8:00 A.M. after hearing second hand information from other team families. What more would you want the coach to do?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
First- I'm sorry to hear your DD got hurt and I hope she doesn't carry the "baggage" from it with her afterward.
As a coach, have no idea what is going on and I don't want to bother a family when they are trying to get their DD taken care of.
That's how I would feel. I also would've made sure the kid heard "I'm sorry" from me, the adult.
As far as calling to check up, if it's a tournament weekend, I've got 12-16 players to take care of and more games to play, I would probably call after the dust settled but I don't know when that would've happened.

I also think the coach being young, she didn't know exactly how to handle it and she may have responded how she thought a coach was supposed to, not what she felt .

DD#1 was 10 and playing up on a U14 team. taking pregame infield, one of the fathers who was new to the team helped the coach (college kid) by hitting to the infield while she got setup for the game. he drilled a bad-hopper to DD that hit her in the throat. so loud it sounded like someone hit her in the gut with a bat. The coach never had a parent help with pregame again. There was a certain amount of shock factor involved with the participants so I think your coach probably had a good dose of that. Inexperience, being younger than the parents and the shock of being responsible for hurting one of her own players probably kind of overwhelmed her.

Maybe you ought to ask the coach if she's allright? She may be overwhelmed with guilt .

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2012
I have not talked to the girls at all. They have texted my daughter. The girls that were around her asked if coach ever said sorry "because we never heard her say it on the field." My DD said no and it spread as girls will talk. She is young and probably doesn't know what to do. I did text her yesterday with an update that the ct was negative and she has expressed concern. She may be waiting till she gets to another practice to talk with her.

I don't think this will intimidate her since she wanted to leave the er to go back to the field to help her team. By the time we left the er we were knocked out of the tournament and that was around 3:00. It was a long 3 hour drive back for me. My DD was sleeping with an ice pack on her face off and on and DW was responding to parents. At the time of the drive home I really didn't want to speak with the coach and thought it better to wait. Like I've said she is a good coach with fundamentals and I am chalking it up to being young dealing with much older adults. As time adds distance things settle and it will all be good in the end, as it does with most things. If I thought there was intent to harm it would be different.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and letting me vent.