DD Bat Drag ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Vroom, vroom

d9p91.gif

That's exactly what I was trying to get to in this thread.
It's an important distinction to make IMHO. That's is why the elbow slotting action is so important.
It sets up this type of turning the handle action in the correct direction. It made sense to my DD once she saw your
marked up clip of her. She was already doing it, but told me your way of explaining it (the video) a lot better.
I use your explanation now.
Much Thanks

May 16, 2010
So, you think there should be radial deviation as the first move? Or are you just coming over the top to show how smart you are? Or course, there is some radial deviation...it's a blended articulation as Utley is showing, but it is not a RD that drops the barrel because no other articulations are present....

Utleyhands.gif

You said there was RD. I said there was SOME. In fact, IMO, there is VERY LITTLE, if any. The barrel flattens mostly due to the change in elbow positions, it goes initially goes rearward mainly due to shoulder lateral tilt combined also with the elbow drop. It then arcs when you throw the barrel.

R

RayR

No, I said there was RD in the other hitters swing - not in Utley's (or very little as part of the overall movement).

You said there was RD. I said there was SOME. In fact, IMO, there is VERY LITTLE, if any. The barrel flattens mostly due to the change in elbow positions, it goes initially goes rearward mainly due to shoulder lateral tilt combined also with the elbow drop. It then arcs when you throw the barrel.

R

RayR

I really think our disagreement is over which muscles/bones to focus on using first....I find it easier to teach a player to use the smaller muscles/bones (hands/wrists/forearms,feet,ankles,knees) to create movement while it appears you focus on the bigger muscles and bones to create movement (hips/shoulders/torso,etc).

Am I correct?

May 16, 2010
I really think our disagreement is over which muscles/bones to focus on using first....I find it easier to teach a player to use the smaller muscles/bones (hands/wrists/forearms,feet,ankles,knees) to create movement while it appears you focus on the bigger muscles and bones to create movement (hips/shoulders/torso,etc).

Am I correct?

Pretty much. I teach in the order of the kinetic link. The hands are the last link.

The body transfers energy to the hands, the hands transfer energy to the bat/barrel. I want them to learn to move the body correctly, first.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
The "Carve" is a separate action from shoulder tilt. How flat does the barrel look when you remove the shoulder tilt from an image of a hitter swinging at a low pitch?

The hand flattening action is a relative constant; the shoulder tilt varies with pitch location. The main point I was trying to make with the GIFs I posted was to show that good hitters flatten the barrel behind, and that the timing of the flattening is a style choice.

When I compared my dd's last recorded live swing, she flattened about 1/2 frame too many compared to Mantle/Williams. That 1/2 frame makes a big difference by the time the barrel gets to contact. As her instructor, it's my job to figure out why she flattened a 1/2 frame too many and then come up with a fix. When I compared her to Mantle, the reason for the difference was clear. The pros use their hands better. The pros do a better job of syncing up the "Carve" with the "Filet". In order to smoothly transition from the "Carve" to the "Filet"....so it is ONE move and not two; you have to go all in with the hands prior to the completion of the hand flattening move/the "Carve". This will vary depending on the handset; but I would estimate that you have to have at least a 1/2 to 1 frame of "Carve" in reserve to make a seamless transition into the "Filet".

When my dd was younger, she did thousands of swings starting with the bat on the deltoid. The system we started with also urged caution about using the hands too much. Starting with the bat on the deltoid and being cautious about using the hands; is a bad combination and creates bad habits IMO. She still managed to drag the bat, even when she started with the bat on the deltoid, because when the bat starts on the deltoid there is no "Carve" in reserve to make the transition into the "Filet". She was doing the equivalent of a fielder taking the ball out of their glove and going right to the "L" position with the ball up behind the head....pausing....and then throwing.

What I decided to tell my dd; is that she needed to throw her hands sooner. To help her along, I had her spend more time throwing a bat through the air with one and two hands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd