Daily trivia

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Dead Ball Strike

That's only if she had swung the bat OR been in the strike zone at the time she was struck.

As written, the pitch outside the zone would have been a called ball, but the fact that it struck her makes it an immediate dead ball HBP call.

Nov 3, 2012
A situation similar to this happened to my DD 2 years ago who was 11 at that time. She got a pitch right at her head and did a good of getting body out of the way. But she did a bad job of leaving her hands and bat behind. The ball hit her right index finger which was wrapped around the bat and then rolled foul. The ball made a dead sound and not a "hit the bat sound". What she got out of it was a foul ball strike and a fractured index finger. She didnt cry until that night when she was trying to sleep and her finger was throbbing.
I questioned the call with her coaches, and they said the umps can't tell if it the ball or the hands so they call it a strike. Seemed like BS to me.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
A situation similar to this happened to my DD 2 years ago who was 11 at that time. She got a pitch right at her head and did a good of getting body out of the way. But she did a bad job of leaving her hands and bat behind. The ball hit her right index finger which was wrapped around the bat and then rolled foul. The ball made a dead sound and not a "hit the bat sound". What she got out of it was a foul ball strike and a fractured index finger. She didnt cry until that night when she was trying to sleep and her finger was throbbing.
I questioned the call with her coaches, and they said the umps can't tell if it the ball or the hands so they call it a strike. Seemed like BS to me.
The moral of this story is tell your DD to shake her hand wildly and hop around on one foot so the ump is convinced it hit her and not the bat. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell