Dad/Mom at pitching lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Assuming your daughter is a pitcher, what percentage of her lessons do you attend?

Do you go to all of them because you're the catcher and/or because you need to know what she's working on?

Do you think it's important for her to have some lessons that you don't attend so she's not distracted or influenced by your presence?

I don't think there are any right or wrong answers here. I was just curious what the different philosophies out there are.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
As far as this old instructor goes, I WANTED one or both the parents there. ALL my lessons were to teach the student and their parent/s.

I needed to know the parent was just as involved as the student. I'm not there at home when they practice and, between the two of them, hopefully they will remember almost everything we went over that session.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am my DD’s pitching coach period. We pay some smart people to give us good advice. I am at all lessons but keep my mouth shut unless I am asked a question.

DD asked me what happens if coach disagrees with I am asking her to do, I told her the coach is the boss do not even look or ask me, do what coach asks.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
We attend our daughter's pitching(and hitting) lesson's. Some time's both of us if we have nothing else to do. We both really enjoy watching, especially me since I do most of the work at home with her. Since I don't have much experience/knowledge it's like a lesson for me also.
I like to catch for her also. Since we are the only one's there I feel like it gives the coach more time with my dd.
We travel about 20 min. to either lesson so we try to tie something else to it like dinner.

Nov 1, 2008
I've always caught for my DD at lessons I'm the one who catches for her every pitch she throws while she's practicing. When we're at home I have to know what both of us were taught so I can make sure she's doing it right. The pitching coach is coaching both of us IMO. The way I see it, I'm a student as much or more than she is. I have to know everything he's teaching her so I have to be there.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The parents that are on here, will always be at the lesson, either watching or catching. Most mom's stay at mine. A dad will show up 1 out of 20 lessons, and some people shove the kid out the door and leave.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I always go, because I catch. Unlike Amy's experience, I'd say that about 80% of the kids our PC sees are brought by dad, not by mom (these are individual lessons, age varies widely). Not all the dads catch; I've never seen a mom catch. When there's no catcher, the PC catches, but I've always felt that we'd get more bang for our buck if she could move around. I make it a point not to give advice or feedback to DD during the lesson.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I have always attended the pitching lessons. At first the coach caught for her, but as my daughter improved, I thought it would be better for the coach to watch my DD directly so I caught. And I listened to everything that was said. Then, I compared what my DD was taught, to what information I could find from on-line sources and books. I wanted to be an informed consumer, because where I live, lessons are expensive! We changed coaches from someone who was teaching bowling, hips closed, elbow up style, to someone whose pitching philosophy was more current -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw