Daaaayum. I got all choked up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
OK. Long story short. My DD scouted a 5th grader to play softball with us. Parents were shy. However this girl was very outgoing and just built like an athlete. Family is less fortunate financially than most of us that are on this board. When we signed her up with our little League the league paid for her so she could play. Well now we moved to asa and she is still with me and her and my DD are good friends. I did help her a bit this year with registration and of course getting her to games and practices. Well her and my DD both made all stars which I knew she would go. Today going to the game I asked her. what would you being doing right now if it wasn't for softball? She said " I would probably be running the streets and doing drugs with my looser friends". I got really choked up. I almost lost it. It made me think how much of an impact you can make in a young persons life.

Amazing day today was. Very proud of both those girls!

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
There are so many good things that come from sports.....
You and your daughter made a difference in someone's life. You see the immediate but just think about the ripple effect of positivity this will cause!
Thank you for sharing.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
This kids course has been shifted. Funny how easy she could have went the other way. Nice move coach!
Stories like this confirms why we do what we do.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I applaud you, WM. You have made a positive difference in a young woman's life, and given her a foundation for building self-esteem and self-respect. Well done, coach.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
This is a great situation, I did this for a kid on my team as well, parents were homeless when I brought her to my team from her rec team two years ago. She had a plastic glove and a men's softball bat. I equipped her and found some corporate sponsors for her TB fees. I just found out yesterday at 14u she hooked up with an NCAA recruiter and they are going to be helping her put a portfolio together. I have been through the flood and fire with this kid, her parents are extremely involved and her dad called me yesterday to tell me that a big part of who she is as an athlete and a kid is because of me. It made my heart swell and put a tear in my eye, and this is in contrast to the parents whining and complaining because of piddly this or that...

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I applaud you, WM. You have made a positive difference in a young woman's life, and given her a foundation for building self-esteem and self-respect. Well done, coach.

Wasnt looking for an applause,but thank you.

Just letting people be self aware that the small things you do in life can have a major effect on others. If you told me 15 years ago I would be coaching a girls softball team, I would have told you "yea right" and continued on my single life. Now......... geez I couldnt even imagine being without it. Amazing how much a person will give up for their kids and others at times. I did tell her and my dd we would look back at this someday and laugh and remember the good and the bad times......

Good Times for sure ........

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'm with you...I would have laughed at any mention of softball 15 years ago. I am ashamed about some of the stereotypes I had in high school about the girls that played softball too, wish I could go back in time with an open mind (reason 5436 I wish I could go back in time and have a do over).

May 16, 2014
The impact of coaches can be powerful and it's something I try to keep in mind. My daughter has me and I'm glad for that. I just told her the story of the coach who made a big difference in my life. I likely would have been one of those kids running the streets instead of playing softball, repeating my parents' struggle like my siblings did. Instead, I was the only one who went through college, added law school, and raised my station in life. All because of a coach like you who took interest in a quiet kid who could play baseball and football with the boys in fifth grade recess.

I can only hope I can have that affect on some girl someday (and hopefully a good impact on my own).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd