Curve Ball... Palm Up or Palm Down?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Whichever works best for a given kid. There are no absolutes.

Historically, male fastpitch pitchers threw the curve with the palm down, using the same sort of motion that one might use to throw an overhand breaking ball, only backwards. The benefit here is that the wrist and fingers rotate in the same direction that internal rotation is already moving, with a slight variation in grip to offset what would otherwise cause a bit of a drop.

Female fastpitch pitchers were taught by these same male pitchers as coaches to use a palm up curve because the thinking at the time was that a womans fingers were too short and their grips too weak to hold the ball securely in a palm down grip without causing excessive drop and not enough lateral movement. The benefit to the palm up curve is that because the lower arm is held a bit more laterally away and around the hip, the pitch gives the illusion of more movement. Perception is everything when pitching, so this helps. The downside is that the palm up grip makes the lever distance somewhat shorter resulting in a slightly slower pitch.

Having used and taught both, and being a proponent of one and then the other over the years, I can say that I honestly feel that the pitcher should use what works best for them. Natural rise ball pitchers will feel more comfortable with the palm up release, and drop ball pitchers often do better with the palm down release (given long enough fingers to negate the drop aspect), due to the finger spin being the same or similar on these pairings. Experimentation is recommended, in the same manner that different kids throw different changeups better then others.

-W

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So, to get these o'clocks straight, are we to assume the pitcher if facing 6 o'clock when she stands on the pitching rubber facing the catcher? If so, I guess that makes 3rd base 9 o'clock, correct?

I always reference my spin clocks as sky=12 o clock, ground=6, 1st base=3 and third=9. Basically from the perspective of looking at the face of the ball from the catcher's perspective. The pitcher in my view is not facing any clock position she is facing perpendicular to the clock face.

Jun 18, 2010
ahhhhh....see it now....it is palm up but with the forearm also more up during delivery so it comes more across the body, this relieves the wrist from having to be so bent. totally see it now.

DD's PC tells her to think about buckling a seat belt.

Edit: DD throws a palm up curve ball.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Having used and taught both, and being a proponent of one and then the other over the years, I can say that I honestly feel that the pitcher should use what works best for them. Natural rise ball pitchers will feel more comfortable with the palm up release, and drop ball pitchers often do better with the palm down release (given long enough fingers to negate the drop aspect), due to the finger spin being the same or similar on these pairings. Experimentation is recommended, in the same manner that different kids throw different changeups better then others.

-W

The bold makes a lot of sense to me at least.

Oct 19, 2009
A friend of daughter just could not learn to throw a curve ball palm up so she taught herself to throw one palm down and she had a pretty good curve ball.

Jul 26, 2010
Palm up takes a lot of work. Most of the problem is that 85% of what you actually see pitchers do with this pitch happens after release (or where they should release), so you get new pitchers trying to throw across their body and twisting their hips in all sorts of unusual ways. The release happens at the back thigh just like all the other pitches, the hand slicing across the body with the finger pointing towards the belly button is all just follow through/smoke and mirrors.

-W

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez