Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Understanding that some times you just get beat. Sometimes you just swing at bad pitches. But, could part of the reason she couldn't check her swing is because of this?

Connecting to the shoulder and staying connected causes an earlier commitment.

Totally illogical. Once the bat tip starts moving, that produces the commitment. The swings shown here are their normal swings, not lunging, or overly fooled as an inside or outside low pitch might show. You can see what went on for the most part with the finish. If I see a girl's wrists roll over early (grip can be wrong), or extension end early, I know for the most part what happened. In two years, I will have 50 years in this game at a dedicated level. A good example is the Escobedo gif where the Florida player loses her helmet. If you could freeze that swing just before her top hand releases you would see two things, even if you couldn't see the catcher. Her swing is an upper cut. Her helmet flies off. And Her extension is toward RF. What would you conclude from that. You can see it in the video but what about a still photo. What does the upper cut tell you about pitch location? About the type of pitch? The pitch location up, down, in, or out? The finish on extension should tell you the pitch location. Click on gif here.

HVP, you can see the follow-through of Teresa's bat. Yes, she hit it. Where is her extension pointed to? What does that tell you where she hit the ball? In truth, it could have been anywhere from center-field to left field foul line. It the bat barrel deflected or straight with the arms? If the bat was deflected above the hands, it would probably have been beaten in the dirt. If deflected down, it would have been a fly ball or a pop-up. As it was, it was a line-drive that was caught by the center-fielder going into the alley. That is what you can tell from a follow-through still photo.

Teresa.jpgLucy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Yeah thanks. I like it when people prove my point. If she knew where the ball was going to be, she wouldn't have swung up at it. But like Lucy in my post, she started the same way. And like Mendoza, she tried to fix the "box". She couldn't get the bat head back up. This might have been a home-run, don't know. But it was not met square! Why not? She didn't know where the pitch was going to be. She started her swing approach with a guess! Mendoza is in a different league from Lucie. Lucie is a good player in Europe. She would make almost any US DI team outside the top 20 for sure. But Mendoza is much stronger and bigger. Lucy is a 5'4" skinny girl.

Does she "drop that back shoulder" and hit a rise ball?

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
Totally illogical. Once the bat tip starts moving, that produces the commitment. The swings shown here are their normal swings, not lunging, or overly fooled as an inside or outside low pitch might show. You can see what went on for the most part with the finish. If I see a girl's wrists roll over early, or extension end early, I know for the most part what happened. In two years, I will have 50 years in this game at a dedicated level. A good example is the Escobedo gif where the Florida player loses her helmet. If you could freeze that swing just before her top hand releases you would see two things, even if you couldn't see the catcher. Her swing is an upper cut. Her helmet flies off. And Her extension is toward RF. What would you conclude from that. You can see it in the video but what about a still photo. What does the upper cut tell you about pitch location? About the type of pitch? The pitch location up, down, in, or out? The finish on extension should tell you the pitch location.

HVP, you can see the follow-through of Teresa's bat. Yes, she hit it. Where is her extension pointed to? What does that tell you where she hit the ball? In truth, it could have been anywhere from center-field to left field foul line. It the bat barrel deflected or straight with the arms? If the bat was deflected above the hands, it would probably have been beaten in the dirt. If deflected down, it would have been a fly ball or a pop-up. As it was, it was a line-drive that was caught by the center-fielder going into the alley. That is what you can tell from a follow-through still photo.

View attachment 3183View attachment 3184

Really? Your logic may be skewed.

Bautista-Jose-2011-Take.gif

It appears his bat tip is moving but yet, no commitment.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
[video]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/baseballgifs/MiguelCabrera/Cabrera_FB_highside_sync_zps31b2f45f.gif[/video]

high low from cabrera

Cabrera_FB_highside_sync_zps31b2f45f.gif

Last edited:
R

RayR

Maybe once the barrel tip moved he committed to check his swing? Or maybe he realized that his barrel wasn't connected to his shoulder so he had no chance? Or maybe those ladies behind the back stop were making fun of his goofy swing and he over heard it mid swing?

R

RayR

There is the proof - the barrel does not get launched rearward....

[video]http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j399/baseballgifs/MiguelCabrera/Cabrera_FB_highside_sync_zps31b2f45f.gif[/video]

high low from cabrera

Mar 12, 2009
The tip of the bat does go back. And the hands/wrists/forearms do turn the barrel to make the tip go back - but not towards the catcher....away from the second basemen for right hander is a good path to think of.

To clarify the hands/wrist/forearm usage - set up with your forearms and hands forming a triangle like below

LarsenTriangleG_zps155454d6.gif

When you turn the triangle correctly the rear elbow will drop and the front elbow elevates and barrel goes rearward away from the 2nd basemen - not towards the catcher.

Yeah, this is probably more like the path my daughter's takes but I need to video to be sure. I don't think I've ever mentioned to her she should launch back towards the catcher...just rearward.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Does she "drop that back shoulder" and hit a rise ball?

No, she drops the back shoulder because she took lessons from some coaches here who say you start the swing by dropping the back shoulder to start "turning the bat".

She dropped the back shoulder because she thought it was going to be below letter high. She "knew" where the pitch was going to be, but I yelled at her in the middle of her swing saying, "no, drop-ball, or no, never mind, I think it is a change-up". Totally confused her. And she "knew" before she "didn't know", but in truth, she wished she had known! She hasn't spoken to me since. :) I have a question for you. One of these girls is the pitcher who threw that rise-ball. It is the tall dark haired girl, Stella, with her catcher; short hair. Can you tell me the outcome of the game considering I didn't ask them to smile? And how about that bicep on the little blonde, Mara Papucci, in the second photo. Can you tell me what position she plays? She is actually the best of the four at that position. My student is no. 2. Photo evidence!

View attachment 3186 View attachment 3187

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX

I am sorry, but this is getting beyond profoundly stupid! His bat head is not committed because he uses connection, connection as we teach, without launching the bat, turning the barrel, his bat head follows his hands to connection at the hip, which occurs when his bat stops moving completely toward the ball.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX

high low from cabrera

I love it when you guys post evidence of my points. I have been saying forever that the pitch location determines swing path, and swing arc. Here you have two inside pitches, yet the swing path looks different, yet these gifs are posted by you guys to prove your point, ................ which is? Thanks for proving my point. And furthermore, Cabrera guessed right and kept his back shoulder up on the high inside pitch. They are also both connected to the hip; back elbow to the hip, barrel following hands, then the bat is launched. Futhermore, as I have said repeatedly, on pitches on the inside corner, I have said the hands must lead the elbow to the hip, to get the hands inside the ball! You have made me look good on 3 accounts with these gifs, which are my gifts!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd