Critique / Help Series of Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It would be awesome to get these guys in a room talking hitting. I'd love to go to something like that and have RD with a big screen showing some cool gifs:) I'd sit in the corner and take notes with a big grin on my face.
_56546093_jack_rex464.jpg

brad-dourif.jpg

Mar 12, 2009
I've thought this for a while as I've been reading over this thread, is it possible that when MTS says "rearward launch," SteveHuff is confusing this with dropping the barrel straight back toward the backstop? The bolded statement about the wall drill makes me think this is what he is thinking. If the barrel was dropped so it was facing toward the backstop, I would use the wall drill to correct this (because when you drop your bat head toward the backstop you create an unhinged top-hand wrist which causes an extended top arm, which causes sweeping). That's not what I understand MTS to be saying about "rearward launch." To me, I've been interpreting "rearward launch" as the barrel going behind the hitter (pointing toward the 3B coach for a RH hitter) while beginning to uncoil from the resistance in the hips up through the torso.

None of MTS's gifs show the barrel pointing backwards to where the wall drill would be necessary. Barrel still stays deep and inside the ball in the gifs where the hitter isn't fooled. Thoughts?

Mountie's interpretation is not correct is it? If it is I'm messed up again. I've thought it was a tip of the bat rearward towards the catcher but with the use of active hands applying torque to the barrel along with turning the triangle. Please advise!

R

RayR

The tip of the bat does go back. And the hands/wrists/forearms do turn the barrel to make the tip go back - but not towards the catcher....away from the second basemen for right hander is a good path to think of.

To clarify the hands/wrist/forearm usage - set up with your forearms and hands forming a triangle like below

LarsenTriangleG_zps155454d6.gif

When you turn the triangle correctly the rear elbow will drop and the front elbow elevates and barrel goes rearward away from the 2nd basemen - not towards the catcher.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I saw 2 bama girls actively turning the barrel as part of their on deck warm up swing. One would do 2 ticks, torqueing her barrel back with just her hands quick about 16 inches and on the third tick she swung. Tick-tick-swing

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
The tip of the bat does go back. And the hands/wrists/forearms do turn the barrel to make the tip go back - but not towards the catcher....away from the second basemen for right hander is a good path to think of.

To clarify the hands/wrist/forearm usage - set up with your forearms and hands forming a triangle like below

LarsenTriangleG_zps155454d6.gif

When you turn the triangle correctly the rear elbow will drop and the front elbow elevates and barrel goes rearward away from the 2nd basemen - not towards the catcher.

Mts, what s the difference between using the" triangle", and using the 'box' cues?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi