critical parents and the smack talking

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
My dd is a catcher on a 2nd year 10u AA tb team. She is really good for her age, but like any living human, she has off days/games. This one happened to be a championship game where she missed a pop fly and let a ball pass/run score. Forget that this happened in a game where the pitcher was already walking in runs and they were on the recieving end of a 10-0 beat down, and that she already caught 4 games. In this same game she also made a double play, threw 2 girls out on 2nd, and tagged 2 runners at home and she hit like a monster. She is 3rd in lineup and didn't strike out once all weekend and has only struck out twice ever in the 4 tournaments they have played so far. Of course that didn't stop the dads from standing at the backstop fence and criticizing her. I know that because she is one of the stronger players that they have high expectations from her, but she is still an 11 year old little girl. There is one dad in particular that is so loud and opinionated about everything.He is constantly yelling at the girls and coaching them from the stands. He really got into my dds head in the first game of day 2 after she made a weak throwdown to second...no harm was done because they didn't let girl score but it didn't stop this dad from running his mouth and she heard it all day long from him. He would say things to her directly, she would hear the things he said to other parents about it because she right there in ear shot. I feel like this guy is a major problem...he was talking about the coaches and a lot of the players and he thinks because he isn't afraid to say it, that he is justified. I have told my dd to tune him out before but she can't seem to do that. I have thought about going to the coach, but he has to be aware of it already. I know this is a common problem in all sports so I was wondering how yall have handled situations like this?

About Them

Awaiting genuis pills
Aug 30, 2011
Chicago Suburbs
I would definitely be having a conversation with the Coach. If this were to occur with my team, the offending parent would be told that he was no longer welcome at games or practices. As coaches, it's our job to protect the players...but we shouldn't have to protect them from those who are supposed to be cheering them on.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am just on my last nerve with adults that are confronting my young pitchers. So, this man would probably get my wrath. I think that a grown man needs to ask him why he is yelling at little girls.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Have a conversation with the coach about this, many times I have been told after the fact about something that happened in the stands because I didn't hear anything. If the coach doesn't hear it how can he take care of it? If the coach doesn't do anything about it, then YOU have to have a conversation with the parent, and in no uncertain terms tell him that it will not be tolerated by you.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm surprised the ump has not said something to the dad. If the catcher can hear it I'm assuming so can the blue. ( lord knows they can't see, but surely they can hear :) ) I've witnessed the blue call time, turn around and ask "is that your kid"? If it is their kid he asks them to tone it down, if it's not the blue gives him a firm warning or they are tossed on the spot.

Well NO, NO and just plain NO. The only comments I make about players as they are playing are when I am watching down the line the with a friend of mine that also coaches or am back behind the bleachers with a select parent or two and it is never within ear shot of anyone. If some one else is around we don't say anything or wait until they walk on by and talk very quietly.

While I have outgrown my younger days of being a little too overbearing and loud I think I might revert back in this instance and just pray that my fellows fans and parents understand and sided with me over obnoxious dude. "Hey buddy she is 10 years old why don't you sit down be quiet and watch the game"...maybe it is just a Texas thing but I don't think anybody would be brave enough to bad about someone else's kid loud enough for them to hear it.

Anytime anything negative about a kids comes from the stands it is the kids parent yelling at them and the other parents around wishing they would take it easy on their own kid and not be so hard on them, only to yell at their kid when they make a mistake.

Very minimum talk to the coach at let him know if he can't get parent X to shut up it not going to end well.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Talk with the coach. I know that I would have no problem telling this guy to shut it. If he can't, then I would till him he's not welcome to the games. If he can't do that, then it's goodbye to him and his DD. His behavior is not to be allowed. I have banned one dad from games in the past. To this day, he is his daughter's worst enemy.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Lets put this in perspective:
I am 14U head coach and a dad to a almost 10 year old boy. I do not have a daughter. My son does not want to play ball or even have a catch with me and it does hurt me that he does not want to do so. So next time you want to criticize or yell at your DD, just remember that at least she is playing and try to enjoy her playing while it lasts. Thanks all

Apr 11, 2012
complaining to the coach is one way and problably the best way to handle it, but sometimes coaches are not the best facilitators of corrective behavior with parents......I say take him out to the woodshed and settle it "the ole' Irish way"....na, just joking.....but I would go stand right next to him all day during a tournament, even follow him around.....to really see how much he likes to "speak his mind".....

Jul 9, 2009
IL
complaining to the coach is one way and problably the best way to handle it, but sometimes coaches are not the best facilitators of corrective behavior with parents......I say take him out to the woodshed and settle it "the ole' Irish way"....na, just joking.....but I would go stand right next to him all day during a tournament, even follow him around.....to really see how much he likes to "speak his mind".....

The coach has to hear it as well so he/she isn't going to deal with it. I'm surprised someone just hasn't walked up and beat his rear. It'll create some other problems but solve his issue of mouthing off to the players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes