craziness on Ebay

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Marriard......which bats was the coach using in the 12u?? One X?? Old Catalyst?? I've seen banned bat list, and I'm just curious which ones popped up in his players hands. There was a One X showed up at one of our local rec games a couple weeks ago. The hitter was not very good and never made contact. I let the coach know that the bat was illegal, and that the bat could still be sent back to LS and get a new Xeno. She told me that the girls mom worked at a local D1 school and the softball coach would just give her bats. The 2nd time we played them the girl mo longer had the One X, she had what appeared to be a brand new 2012 Xeno...Wow, I wish I had connections at a university

They were some old Rocketechs.

Dec 20, 2012
I think it is the black barrel Rocketech from 10-12 years ago.

Not all leagues use the same banned list. An ASA sanctioned event will be pretty strict, checking bats ahead of time and putting stickers on them. USSSA will have a completely different list. Rolling really doesn't bother me because you can get the same effect by other means. But shaving is actually changing the bat in a way that would be impossible by normal use.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Marriard, is this USSSA? There are no FP Rocketechs banned by ASA. They can be tossed on a case by case basis due to excessive wear; pins missing, not passing ring test and even barrel twisting on handle. If the coach keeps bringing out the same bat after pre game inspection, he should be banned for a year, minimum.

Apr 3, 2011
I still have a onex. It is about to come apart, only have about 150 swings on it, but oh man, the ball sure comes of it well.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The black RT is the 2004 model and it is on the ASA approved list, so it can be used in ASA and PONY, but not in USSSA (not sure about NSA). However, since it has the ASA 2000 stamp, and not the ASA 2004 stamp, some HS associations may not allow it (PIAA in PA requires bats have the ASA 2004 stamp and not be on the ASA banned list). JDaddy, it right, individual bats can be taken out if they are dented or do not pass the ring test.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Most of the time the kid doesnt even know what really is done to the bat. Most of the time its the loser dad who sucked in SP and had to cheat to sneak a ball over a 300 fence or get it out of the infield and now thinks he is helping his kid.

Not always, but a lot of the time this is how it rolls. Not giving all the kids a free pass, but a lot.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The black RT is the 2004 model and it is on the ASA approved list, so it can be used in ASA and PONY, but not in USSSA (not sure about NSA). However, since it has the ASA 2000 stamp, and not the ASA 2004 stamp, some HS associations may not allow it (PIAA in PA requires bats have the ASA 2004 stamp and not be on the ASA banned list). JDaddy, it right, individual bats can be taken out if they are dented or do not pass the ring test.

This was USSSA. And yes it was the coaches. Kids didn't know the first time but by the third they know because there is always a scene when these things happen. But guarantee coaches are saying things like "It is a stupid rule, so we are ignoring it' or something like that. They were doing the whole slow-pitch magically appearing bat thing where the used bat was not inspected pre-game

Dec 11, 2010
I have noticed some older non-thumbprint bats in early spring USSSA tournaments when the temps are really low.

They are pretty easy to spot if you know anything about bats. I never said anything, I think parents were just trying not to ruin newer bats. Those same teams/players used approved bats when the temps came up.

I never wanted to take a chance of having dd get some reputation for cheating because she got a conspicuously good hit and the opposing coach makes a big deal out of it. That could get bad fast.

I'm surprised coaches do this stuff, isn't it a little obvious when somebody is using an older bat? Besides, a good hit off of an old Stealth is still a good hit off of any new/approved top of the line bat... They are all pretty darned good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors