Cooler Rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Parks need to get over themselves. At the rec league level, where we could bring in a side of beef, if we wanted, the concession stand makes $100 per game. They make more, when they offer tacos.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
I bought one of the big orange water coolers. I fill the inside with water, ice and bottles of Gatorade and fruit in ziplocs. Have never had them ask me to open it, but one place asked me to push the tap so they could see water come out.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So, is this rule simply to bolster concessions sales?
Or is there another, more valid, reason?

Concessions are probably a good part of it since they are there to make a profit. But if it stadium-style seating, where would all those coolers go during the game?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Concessions are probably a good part of it since they are there to make a profit. But if it stadium-style seating, where would all those coolers go during the game?

Where are you playing that has stadium style seating? My parents are happy to have some bleachers and thrilled if they are in the shade and can leave the pop-up in the mini-van.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Have you all run into a tournament rule that allows only a single "team cooler",
and bans players from having their own small coolers for drinks, snacks, towels, etc?

what the heck?

No. Been to many that only allow player coolers. At a complex near here it is a city ordnance that no large coolers are allowed. I am cool with that. If you are going to have a full meal, go tailgate in the parking lot. All the consessions are there to support the park and the kids. I think it's really rude for people to bring a potluck to a park and eat in front of the concession. Now not allowing player coolers, I would be ticked! I bet the park's rules were misinterpreted somewhere in the line of those inforcing them.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
No. Been to many that only allow player coolers. At a complex near here it is a city ordnance that no large coolers are allowed. I am cool with that. If you are going to have a full meal, go tailgate in the parking lot. All the consessions are there to support the park and the kids. I think it's really rude for people to bring a potluck to a park and eat in front of the concession. Now not allowing player coolers, I would be ticked! I bet the park's rules were misinterpreted somewhere in the line of those inforcing them.

But I've been to tournaments (not super fancy A-level tournaments, but still) where the concession stand doesn't open until 11:00 and closes at 6:00. What about the 8:00 AM games? What about the 9 PM games? I think this rule is fair IF AND ONLY IF the concession stand is a) open the entire time games are being played, b) have enough people working in them to avoid long lines, and c) don't run out of ANYTHING. JMHO.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Found a new one day... turns out the city contracts concessions at a local park and then their is a % of the profit that goes back to the teams/city. However in the contract, it includes a 'no outside food/drink' clause so the local teams don't have control over it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Where are you playing that has stadium style seating? My parents are happy to have some bleachers and thrilled if they are in the shade and can leave the pop-up in the mini-van.

Post #3 and I'm sure there are a few others

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
We got stadium style seating in Sumter SC! Big time.

I bring 120 gallon cooler on game cart. They said just one cooler but not how big!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish