continuation rule question ASA and USSSA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2015
Ok, Ball 4 the batter/base runner sprints up the 1sr base line she tags 1st base and continues to 2nd. The pitcher then raises her arm like she is going to throw the ball to 2nd base my base runner stops and goes amditly back to 1st, the 1st base umpire calls her out. What is the correct call? Also if the base runner rounds 1st and stops with out any attempt to throw her out what should that call be.

I have asked many local umpires and get a different answer each time I ask. Any help is aways appreciated.

Jun 22, 2008
The batter runner is allowed one stop and reversal of direction under the lookback rule. Even if the pitcher made no move as if to make a play, your batter/runner is still entitled to stop one time and then must immediately chose to advance or return to 1st. Once the pitcher raised her arm as if to make a throw the look back rule is off and the runner is free to do about anything.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Once the pitcher fakes a throw the runner can do anything she wants.

If a runner rounds 1st then goes back to 1st or to 2nd she is fine, she is not allowed to bait a throw.

The assumption of this is that the ball is in the circle.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have asked many local umpires and get a different answer each time I ask. Any help is aways appreciated.

That's too bad because any umpires that understand this rule should be giving you the same correct answer. And by the way, in the rule book it's called the Look Back Rule, not "the continuation rule".

See Comp's reply above. From the description, this runner didn't do anything to be called out for. If the pitcher did fake making a play, then the Look Back Rule is suspended and the runner can stop, reverse, stand there, or dance back and forth without penalty. If the pitcher didn't make or fake a play, then the runner is allowed to round a base, stop once, then immediately advance directly to the next base or retreat directly to the previous one, without making a second stop or reversal.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2015
This is how I under stood the rule, but in an ASA tournament my run was called out for stopping and when I asked the umpire said she has to continue unless there is a play on her. I love this rule and my team understands it very well, but when they get called out for making legal actions on the field it puts doubt in their head.
Thanks again for the help.

Jun 22, 2008
This is how I under stood the rule, but in an ASA tournament my run was called out for stopping and when I asked the umpire said she has to continue unless there is a play on her. I love this rule and my team understands it very well, but when they get called out for making legal actions on the field it puts doubt in their head.

And what did the umpire say the pitcher raising their arm as if to throw the ball was? In other words he was wrong all the way around. You should have protested the call, nothing in the rules requires the runner to continue, and there was a play, or at least simulating a play made.

Feb 9, 2015
He had said that my base runner pulsed, I asked him to ask the home plate umpire for help and he said no need that it was his call. I try not to argue to much with the guys in Blue but there are times when they are wrong and just don't seem to care. One of my other coaches in between innings had asked about the call as well with no other response.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

I HATE this rule. It is unnecessary and feeds a "live ball game" myth that people cannot seem to look away from.

Mar 26, 2013
He had said that my base runner pulsed, I asked him to ask the home plate umpire for help and he said no need that it was his call. I try not to argue to much with the guys in Blue but there are times when they are wrong and just don't seem to care. One of my other coaches in between innings had asked about the call as well with no other response.
I presume he thought she paused after stopping. In that case, the pitcher raising her arm being a play is critical because without it, the runner has to immediately proceed or retreat after stopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01