continuation rule question ASA and USSSA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 29, 2012
We had a situation last night where there was a girl on 3B and the batter walked, turned the corner at 1B went about 10 steps, saw the pitcher with the ball and she stopped and went back to 1B. Umpire ruled her out saying that she had to go to 2B. Once she committed to going past 1B she had to keep going. I mentioned that the pitcher had the ball in her throwing hand in a throwing position walking in her direction and therefore she could go back. That would only apply in a non continuation situation he said.
In one of these threads I read that there isn't a continuation rule, that it si part of the look back rule. Is this true? Where is the ASA rule book can I find information about this so that i can show the umpire for future games. he is the regular umpire for our rec league games and home summer travel balls games too.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This is how I under stood the rule, but in an ASA tournament my run was called out for stopping and when I asked the umpire said she has to continue unless there is a play on her. I love this rule and my team understands it very well, but when they get called out for making legal actions on the field it puts doubt in their head.
Thanks again for the help.

Here we go :)

The rule is a waste and completely unnecessary. However, most FP folks have a difficult time grasping anything different even though the alternative has been successfully used for decades.

Jun 22, 2008
We had a situation last night where there was a girl on 3B and the batter walked, turned the corner at 1B went about 10 steps, saw the pitcher with the ball and she stopped and went back to 1B. Umpire ruled her out saying that she had to go to 2B. Once she committed to going past 1B she had to keep going. I mentioned that the pitcher had the ball in her throwing hand in a throwing position walking in her direction and therefore she could go back. That would only apply in a non continuation situation he said.
In one of these threads I read that there isn't a continuation rule, that it si part of the look back rule. Is this true? Where is the ASA rule book can I find information about this so that i can show the umpire for future games. he is the regular umpire for our rec league games and home summer travel balls games too.

Th ASA rule number is 8-7-T. Your situation has already been covered in this thread. The batter runner is not committed to 2nd simply for rounding 1st base. They still have 1 stop and may either advance on to 2nd or return to 1st. If the pitcher acts as if they are making a play on the runner or makes a play, the lookback rule is off.

Jun 11, 2013
The rule was never intended to be a cheap way for the defense to get an out. It's supposed to quickly end a play one way or another and prevent senseless lead off and fakes by the pitcher like you see in little league baseball. Unless someone is just standing there, just get them back to their base and let the next pitch start.