Confidence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2011
Whenever there is a "confidence" issue, the first place to start is make sure that, in fact, your DD can do what is being asked of her. Daddies are legendary for thinking their DD is the greatest athlete since Babe Didriksen.

The question I always ask: How do you know? What is your basis for this belief? Have you gunned her? Can she really hit spots?

My own experience is that Daddy's often are much more forgiving during practice with DD. If a kid throws a pitch two inches off the plate, Daddy will give it to her, while an umpire may not. And, Daddy will base his belief on how hard she throws on balls that are not even close to the strike zone.

I hear what your saying Sluggers, but it isn't just me that thinks this. Her HC has said the same thing. Even after this last outing he made a comment to me that she threw really well before the game, but her pitches looked slower in the game. After reading everyone's comments and talking to her more about it, I think I know what needs to be done. She's picking up with a rec team this weekend. This will be a totally different environment and I'm curious to see how she reacts. If she still struggles, then I know it's not from the coach putting pressure on her. If she kills it like she's capable, then I know that we have to address how she responds to her TB coach.

Oh, when I say she doesn't have the control, I mean the ball is bouncing in the dirt or way off the plate. She's not just missing by a couple inches. Oddly enough, last weekend before she struggled, she pitched 1 inning against a team that is probably be best in the area and got them out 1-2-3. Her control and speed were spot on for that inning. Before the next game against an inferior team, her coach had a long talk with her and she pitched poorly.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I hear what your saying Sluggers, but it isn't just me that thinks this. Her HC has said the same thing. Even after this last outing he made a comment to me that she threw really well before the game, but her pitches looked slower in the game. After reading everyone's comments and talking to her more about it, I think I know what needs to be done. She's picking up with a rec team this weekend. This will be a totally different environment and I'm curious to see how she reacts. If she still struggles, then I know it's not from the coach putting pressure on her. If she kills it like she's capable, then I know that we have to address how she responds to her TB coach.

I'm with you...RandomDad... She is the BEST PITCHER in this WORLD that you will ever get this opportunity to "OVERsee" and Travel with....

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
It does not matter what the coach thinks, saya or does. As long as she knows she did the absolute best she could do FOR HER TEAM, then shee did great. AGAIN, LET THE COACH DO WHATEVER, sounds like he / she is in it more for himself / herself than thedevelopment of young players.

When I was 19, I pitched a game and had 17 strike outs. We lost that game 1-0. If I had cared what anyone else thought, I would of had a confidence problem too but I knew I had done the best I could. When I was 23, I was an ASA A div national champion pitcher and also the MV pitcher of that tourney.

Forget what anyone else says, thinks or does because they dont matter; they cannot go into the circle and help you pitch!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2012
Rick, don't worry, it's no different in college. The parents and kids will argue that the coach is hurting someone's confidence. Confidence is something that comes from within. Either you have it or you don't. Those that don't blame it on someone else.

Are you a psychologist?

May 18, 2009
Coaching plays a huge part in the mental aspect of the game. I've seen kids melt under a coaches pressure. I've seen a coach say the right thing to help calm a pitcher down. Coaching is only part of the overall mental game. I've seen pitchers melt down after giving up a big hit or hitting a batter. Every pitcher is different and it takes years of play to figure out who has the mental tools necessary to be a pitcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red