Commitment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2012
Kansas City Area
A short rant here.

I have a strong belief in commitment to team. My DD rarely misses any practices, even optional. She is in it for the team. Why do some parents never teach this lesson to their kids?

Commitment goes beyond just showing up to practice. It is also about working to get better. Playing catch in the yard, doing things away from practice so DD can be a contributing member of the team.

Rant off.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
You DO realize you're preachin' to the choir here, right? :)

We have a game tomorrow night. 3 of my players also play school ball and have a game at 4:30 tomorrow so they may be late. So out of 11 players I will have 8 to start at game time at 6pm. But wait! There's more! Another girl won tickets to a LI Ducks game so she ain't coming (God, I had to bite my tongue when the mom told me that!), another one is sick, and another one will be late because the Drama Club is apparently a priority over rec ball. Why join Drama Club when there's SO MUCH free drama on the team! So i will have 5 players tomorrow when the legal lineup is 7 to not forfeit. I'm hoping that the school game is over early. They might be on time cuz the field they're playing on is down the street from the rec ball field. Keepin' my fingers crossed but doing the lineup is going to be a major beeyotch. In a way, I almost hope we do forfeit so the parents can feel guilty. Did I say that out loud?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
At this time of year, there are a lot of school activities. More and more, grades are based on them being at that activity. In IL. the school association does not allow kids to be in another softball league, if they are in school ball. At least they have told you that they aren't coming. I was at a game, this week, where the coach had to call a player and see if she was coming. The mom said she didn't know there was a game. The umps did not start the game until the team had 9.

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Amy, that's good that the school assoc. does that. In my instance the sign-ups and draft for LL is held way before school team tryouts so we don't even have a fighting chance. If I knew which girls were gonna play school ball I wouldn't have drafted them.

Also, please delete that comma in your sig. It's grammatically incorrect and it bugs the crap out of me. :eek:

The Drama Club Girl so far has missed 8 practices/games this season. When I see a text come in from her mom I get a cold shiver down my spine. And I have to wonder: do voodoo dolls really work? Cuz I need one of those.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
While I am a HUGE fan of being committed to the team, I have learned over the years not to judge others until I have walked a mile in their shoes. Playing time is earned in TB, and if a player is not coming to practice and is not working hard outside of practice it will be reflected in the amount of playing time on Saturday and Sunday.

Here is my current dilemma.....Friday night is my DD's 8th grade dance. She and her friends have been looking forward to it for months and she and my DW went out two weeks ago and bought a dress, shoes, ect. Monday afternoon we got the brackets for her teams ASA qualifier this weekend and we have a game Friday night at 9pm. Do I tell her she cannot go to the dance? Do I let her go to the dance and hope the team can win without her and she will be there first thing Saturday morning?.........just dayum!

Apr 14, 2013
Long Island
Here is my current dilemma.....Friday night is my DD's 8th grade dance.

Me? I'd let my DD make that decision. She's played a lot of games but there aren't many 8th grade dances. Players have missed games for far, FAR less important things. I can send you several texts from my team's parents to support that as fact.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would like to smack the person that thought that an 8th grade dance was a good idea. Chaperoning those dances are hard enough, when the kids are in HS.

I remember my kids having MS dances, but they were at 4PM and my boys weren't interested in going.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
A short rant here.

I have a strong belief in commitment to team. My DD rarely misses any practices, even optional. She is in it for the team. Why do some parents never teach this lesson to their kids?

Commitment goes beyond just showing up to practice. It is also about working to get better. Playing catch in the yard, doing things away from practice so DD can be a contributing member of the team.

Rant off.
Rec or travel?

Some parents have zero baseball/softball background and no idea how to even help their kids.

Yes in a perfect world all parents would work with their kids at home but the reality is some don't have the time and others don't have the ability.

Now if you are talking about not being able to get kids to games and practices that they are supposed to be at...grrrrr.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd